Windows 8 New Mother board - Random BSODs

TacticalQuit

I posted once before about this issue with an older set of parts. I followed the suggestions in it and after removing norton, the problems went away. I'll post it here in case it helps.

I got a new mobo/proc and now the Bsod demon is back.

New System Specs are:
Z97 Maximus VII Hero
i7 4790k
4x Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
2x R9 290x gfx card
2x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB on RAID0
1x 3TB HDD

Windows 8.1 update 1

I'm getting random blue screens out of no where. When I got the board, I kept getting SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (ACPI.sys) in a boot loop, but those seem to have gone away. I also now have a DAC attached, but as it uses no drivers I'm not sure if it could be the problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Attachments

• W7F_18-09-2014.zip
    691.8 KB · Views: 862
Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 109, {a3a01f59f21af71c, b3b72be0449a2df7, fffff8001fc07ea4, 1}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup: memory_corruption
Hi,
both dump files were of the same bugcheck although probable causes were different. This bugcheck can be caused by:
Cause
There are generally three different causes for this bug check:

1. A driver has inadvertently, or deliberately, modified critical kernel code or data. Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and later versions of Windows for x64-based computers do not allow the kernel to be patched except through authorized Microsoft-originated hot patches. For more information, see Patching Policy for x64-based Systems.

2. A developer attempted to set a normal kernel breakpoint using a kernel debugger that was not attached when the system was started. Normal breakpoints (bp) can only be set if the debugger is attached at start time. Processor breakpoints (ba) can be set at any time.

3. A hardware corruption occurred. For example, the kernel code or data could have been stored in memory that failed.

In your case you probably have a driver causing these issues or a possible hardware issue.

Checking through the driver stack your drivers look in pretty good shape apart from:

SaiK0CFA.sys Tue Jul 20 17:26:29 2010: Possibly a Saitek mouse or keyboard? 2010 is a little old for Windows 8.1 (windows 8.1 hates old drivers) and I would try and update whichever device it is. ( I now see it's a Cyborg RAT 9 latest driver is 2012 version, I think):
http://www.cyborggaming.com/download.htm

lvuvc64.sys Tue Oct 23 03:12:08 2012: Logitech USB Video Class Driver (WebCam) check for update:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/support_downloads/downloads/&cl=us,en

Check you haven't got any corruption in Windows by the system file checker. Open an admin command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Check your GPU memory is ok by running this test:
http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

If after making the above changes you still get the bsod then you need to test your RAM.
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Try and run the test overnight if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

Can you post the make and model of your PSU please.

Post any new dump files.

Antec 1300 HCP Platinum

I updated the mouse driver, it was old. and I installed the Logitech driver, but I'm fairly certain it was already up to date.

Ill run the last 3 tests later today.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

I ran sfc /scannow, and I havent had any issues with bsod. I think it must have been the mouse driver. I'll run memtest86 tonight, but I'm fairly certain this problem has been solved. Thank you very much .

Hi Tactical,
to be honest if the bsod's haven't occurred since changing the driver I'd hold off on the Memtest86. If they do return then consider running it. Hope all goes well and post back if issues reoccur.. :)

I got another BSOD. I'm going to start memtest86, I'll post back with the results.

I was messing around with the clock and voltages, because I thought the problem was fixed, but I tested my settings with prime95 and found it to be stable. You'd think if it was going to crash because of the clock, it would be when running prime, not just sitting downloading a game.

Attachments

• W7F_20-09-2014.zip
    652 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck 109, {a3a01f591f18b606, b3b72bdf7197ecd1, fffff800803c2d00, 1}

Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup: memory_corruption
Hi,
yup looks like you could do with running Memtest86 if only to eliminate the RAM as a possible suspect. I'll await your results.

Try and run the test overnight (12hrs minimum as some errors don't crop up until the 12hr) if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

Just run it through once.. I'll check back shortly and see if you've posted.. :)

Hello. I ran the vmt test on both gfx cards. no errors.
I'm not sure what to think. The Bsods are very infrequent now. The majority of them happened before updating that mouse driver. I've only had the one since.
Am I expecting too much that I shouldn't get any bsods?

I'll post any more dumps I get.

Well you shouldn't have any blue screens at all really. They basically happen to stop the machine from doing more damage to itself from either bad code or hardware faults.
I went back to the last dumps you sent and had another look through.

Code:

BugCheck 1, {7ff9d5c118aa, 0, ffff, ffffd00020fc6b80}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiSystemServiceExit+24b )

Followup: MachineOwner
The above Bugcheck is caused by either drivers or file system. Try running this command in a admin command prompt:
Similar to the System File Checker is the DISM Tool. This will, if possible, download files to repair missing or corrupt data. Open the admin command prompt and type:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (or copy and paste it)
Press enter and await results.

I also checked through your driver stack again and noticed this driver which I must have missed before:

WinRing0x64.sys Sat Jul 26 14:29:37 2008: Many different programs center around the using of the WinRing libraries (RealTemp, Corsair Link2 (known BSOD issues w/Win8), Razer GameBooster, Fusiontweaker. As I mentioned previously win 8.1 hates old drivers see if you have something related to the above and either remove or update.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

[==========================100.0%==========================]
The restore operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was
repaired.
The operation completed successfully.

I don't have any of those installed. I used to have Realtemp and Corsair Link2 installed, but I removed them a while ago

Last edited:
Try doing a search for WinRing0x64.sys. If found break it by renaming to WinRing0x64.old.

Sounds good.. Well see how you go and if you get another bsod please post.

Back