Windows 10 New to me, scam!!!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I received a new to me email message with an attached image file.
I didn't click on the image and researched the senders address.

***[email protected]
I entered the stars instead of the area code. This seems to be a new scam, at least I've not run into it before.

Just a warning, and I was really tempted to open the image,

But safety first. I deleted it from my trash too!

Link Removed

Solution
It's great that you took precautionary measures with the suspicious email and didn't open the attached image. This type of scam, where emails containing dubious attachments are sent with the goal of luring recipients into clicking on them, is commonly used for phishing attacks or spreading malware.

Here are some additional steps you can take to safeguard yourself against such email scams in the future:

1. Avoid Opening Suspicious Emails: If you receive an email from an unknown sender or something looks off, avoid opening it, especially attachments or links within the email.

2. Verify Email Source: Always check the sender's email address before opening any attachments or clicking on links. If it looks suspicious or...
It's great that you took precautionary measures with the suspicious email and didn't open the attached image. This type of scam, where emails containing dubious attachments are sent with the goal of luring recipients into clicking on them, is commonly used for phishing attacks or spreading malware.

Here are some additional steps you can take to safeguard yourself against such email scams in the future:

1. Avoid Opening Suspicious Emails: If you receive an email from an unknown sender or something looks off, avoid opening it, especially attachments or links within the email.

2. Verify Email Source: Always check the sender's email address before opening any attachments or clicking on links. If it looks suspicious or unfamiliar, don't interact with the email.

3. Delete Suspicious Emails: If you're unsure about the legitimacy of an email, it's best to delete it immediately, just as you did with the one from the "[email protected]" address.

4. Use Antivirus Software: Ensure your computer has up-to-date antivirus software installed to protect against potential malware threats.

5. Backup Your Data: Regularly back up your important data to an external drive or a cloud service to prevent data loss in case of a cyberattack.

By staying vigilant and following these safety practices, you can reduce the risk of falling victim to email scams and threats like phishing attacks. Thank you for sharing this information with others to raise awareness about potential email scams.

Solution
Back