Windows 10 New to Windows 10

Treycee

I just bought a new computer and monitor (not a touch screen). I downloaded the newest version of Windows 10. I do not have the start button on the bottom extreme left nor do I have the settings app on my start menu. How do I fix?
Thanks!

If your running an anti virus application try uninstalling it.

Can you post some details on your system like what the spec is etc

IMG_20151117_103721079.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20151117_103721079.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] This is a brand new computer, just got it yesterday. Installed the latest version of Windows 10 1511, ? Does it make a difference if I don't have a touch screen?

Does it make a difference if I don't have a touch screen?
No

So when you bought the machine what operating system was on it originally?

How did you install windows 10? Which method did you use as it makes a difference.

It was on Windows 10 already but not sure which version. Then I did a check for updates and that is when I found to install the latest update version. I just did the normal install updates from there, I didn't remove the "old" version of Windows if that is what you are asking.

Oh right, now I understand. When you applied the new update did you disable the anti virus app your running? If not it may have messed up the install. Which anti virus app were/are you running?

No, I didn't, but today I uninstalled what was on the computer (McAfee) because I want to install another brand. I don't have an anti virus on the computer yet, I have not installed any programs. It is a "clean" computer what only what came with it (minus the anti virus program)

Hmm.. Ok well first make a system recovery disk or usb:
Creating a recovery drive - Windows Help -

The reason you need this is in case the next process doesn't work. As you have nothing on the system try a Reset.Recovery options in Windows 10 - Windows Help

If after trying the Reset you get to a point where the process seems stuck then do wait as it can take some time. If it does seem totally stuck or you get into a reboot loop then use the recovery disk/USB (you'll need to boot from it) to get back into the machine.

Since I have no files on the computer, do I need to do the system recovery thing? Can I start with the Recovery options instead?

You need the recovery drive just in case. If you should get into a boot loop then you'll need it to get back into the recovery console. It's really just to cover you I mean hopefully you won't need it but just in case something goes wrong.

I'd try a reset as from what you say it doesn't sound like the install has been too successful.

Thanks for updating your thread, what proved to be the solution in the end?

It is called "if only I had read the directions to the monitor". All I had to do was adjust the monitor image.

Back