Windows 10 New to Windows. Any tips, things to do etc...

BabuMoshai

For my whole adult life life had a Macbook Pro and last week that was the last thing to go as I've spent a year or so getting out the Apple Eco system.
Can anyone give me some advice on tips on using Windows 10? Things you wished you knew it could do sooner?
I'm doing some casual gaming. Using Word/Excel.
Also I used to use an app called Tool Box on the Max that would give me high quality templates for leaflets/flyers/menus etc... does Windows have something similar?

If you're using Office 2016, 2019 or Office 365 word has tons of templates

Please do not post embedded spam marketing links in your posts. See Terms of Service.
Last edited by a moderator:
Want Windows 10 to run faster?
Follow these steps; your machine will be zippier and less prone to performance and system issues.
>Change your power settings
If you’re using Windows 10’s Power saver plan, you’re slowing down your PC. That plan reduces your PC’s performance in order to save energy. (Even desktop PCs typically have a Power saver plan.) Changing your power plan from Power saver to High performance or Balanced will give you an instant performance boost.
>Disable programs that run on startup
One reason your Windows 10 PC may feel sluggish is you've got too many programs running in the background -- programs that you may never use, or only rarely use. Stop them from running, and your PC will run more smoothly.
>Shut Off Windows Tips and Tricks
As you use your Windows 10 PC, Windows keeps an eye on what you’re doing and offers tips about things you might want to do with the operating system. I my experience, I’ve rarely if ever found these “tips” helpful. I also don’t like the privacy implications of Windows constantly taking a virtual look over my shoulder.
>Stop OneDrive from Synching
Microsoft’s cloud-based OneDrive file storage, built into Windows 10, keeps files synched and up to date on all of your PCs. It’s also a useful backup tool so that if your PC or its hard disk dies, you still have all your files intact, waiting for you to restore them.
>Turn off search indexing
Windows 10 indexes your hard disk in the background, allowing you – in theory – to search your PC more quickly than if no indexing were being done. But slower PCs that use indexing can see a performance hit, and you can give them a speed boost by turning off indexing. Even if you have an SSD disk, turning off indexing can improve your speed as well, because the constant writing to disk that indexing does can eventually slow down SSDs.
>Clean out your hard disk
If you’ve got a bloated hard disk filled with files you don’t need, you could be slowing down your PC. Cleaning it out can give you a speed boost. Windows 10 has a surprisingly useful built-in tool for doing this called Storage Sense. Go to Settings > System > Storage and at the top of the screen – in the Storage Sense section – move the toggle from Off to On. When you do this, Windows constantly monitors your PC, and deletes old junk files you no longer need; temporary files; files in the Downloads folder that haven’t been changed in a month; and old Recycle Bin files.
> Clean out your Registry
Under the Windows hood, the Registry tracks and controls just about everything about the way Windows works and looks. That includes information about where your programs are stored, which DLLs they use and share, what file types should be opened by which program or just about everything else.

Since
For my whole adult life life had a Macbook Pro and last week that was the last thing to go as I've spent a year or so getting out the Apple Eco system.
Can anyone give me some advice on tips on using Windows 10? Things you wished you knew it could do sooner?
I'm doing some casual gaming. Using Word/Excel.
Also I used to use an app called Tool Box on the Max that would give me high quality templates for leaflets/flyers/menus etc... does Windows have something similar?

Since others also have linked to other sites, so will I!

First of all you should like to use Windows in the same, safer, way like you did in your mac..
So I highly recommend you to install your 1:st Windows computer via: THE ULTIMATE WINDOWS 10 INSTALLATION-guide that you find at http://windowsguides.eu
That way you use your computer via a standard user account and has a separate, dedicated Administrator account, just like you do in a mac.. This is what keeps your computer safer than the regular "always logon with an admin account" where you give away your administrators rights to all the malware and crap that you might run into..
By following the guide you really use it just like in your mac, where the UAC-prompt pop up when ever administrator rights are really needed, and you need to type the admin-accounts password to let the process run with the rights of your administrators account… just like you do in mac or in Linux.

The best thing is, for you as a person, that you also get to learn how you actually use Windows 10, its features and such...

I highly recommend it, no matter if you are use to using windows, but also if you are new to windows..
The guide also makes your computer to keep its performance for years ahead, no need to reinstall every now and then..
so you dont need to tweak and tune your windows at all, its already done. No need for registry cleaners, ramboosters and other fake softwares..

Try it, you will like it!

Back
Top Bottom