Windows 8 New Windows 8 PC Randomly Shutting Down

CoolDudeClan

I have been monitoring the temperatures using Speccy, all very reasonable (CPU 30-35C, Mobo 28-35C)

How can I check what is causing this problem? Does it report the error codes somewhere that caused the shut down?

The CPU fan has been having a problem where every 10 minutes it spins up to full rev for 2 seconds and goes back down. I suspect this is related.

Just making sure no stones left unturned.....
Have you checked the power options in regards to "when" to turn off display, when to shutdown etc etc.
Also, have you checked the screensaver app, and see if it is enabled?

Just making sure no stones left unturned.....
Have you checked the power options in regards to "when" to turn off display, when to shutdown etc etc.
Also, have you checked the screensaver app, and see if it is enabled?

That is a good point, just checked it and no shut down power option is currently set.

yes it is built into windows- technically it is not an app
right click on the desktop app away from any icons that are there
left click on Personalize
a box will open- at the far bottom right you will see Screen Saver
Click on it and see what the settings say

But I would not think that would be causing your computer to shut down
What normally makes it shut down is a faulty power supply where it is not cooling off and the fan is not running
Do you feel the fan blowing? if not then it could be getting very hot in the box and it is shutting down
If this is the case because you said it is new- bring it back where you bought it or you might have to call the manufacturer
most pcs/laptops are warrantied for a year

Right click at the desktop > select Personalize > bottom right, is there a Screensaver option?
If yes, is it enabled?
I'm not sure I know what you mean by the screensaver app. Is this something built into Windows 8?

Right click at the desktop > select Personalize > bottom right, there is Screen Saver option.
If it is enabled, it will say something under the " Screen Saver", such as Bubbles, Mystify etc etc.
If it is disabled, it will say None.

If it is enabled, click it > click the pointer under Screen saver heading > select None > click OK when done.

You might check the Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) to see if it shows any recurring errors or warnings. You might be able to pick out some type of pattern.

Is this a laptop or a desktop, and if desktop, did you built it?

You might check the Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) to see if it shows any recurring errors or warnings. You might be able to pick out some type of pattern.

Is this a laptop or a desktop, and if desktop, did you built it?

It's a desktop and it is built, I've done a few without issue so I'm not sure what's wrong here.

I checked the screensaver, nothing set, I don't think that'd be the problem of a shut down however.

Does it only shut down with running Windows? If you were to run the Live version of Ubuntu for a while, think it would make any difference?

Power Supply seem adequate? A complete system description might help.

Does it only shut down with running Windows? If you were to run the Live version of Ubuntu for a while, think it would make any difference?

Power Supply seem adequate? A complete system description might help.

Haven't tried Ubuntu. I've never used it or installed it so I'm a little lost about that whole process.

It's a Corsair Gold rated PSU with a lot of power to spare so I think it's okay too.

I took a screenshot of the event viewer and the critical errors, would this provide any info?

Thanks for everyones help, I appreciate it

error.png

is it new memory? because sometimes old memory can cause a shutdown
also is it paired correctly? some motherboards require you to pair the memory

is it new memory? because sometimes old memory can cause a shutdown
also is it paired correctly? some motherboards require you to pair the memory

I accidentally only ordered a one stick 8GB of RAM

It is new though.

I ran a memtest when I got it and no errors

I would try to reseat everything. I would also check and/or replace the cooling gel between the CPU and heat sink. A Ram stick can cause all sorts of problems. What manufacturer Ram? At today's prices I might consider ordering a matched pair of Ram at whatever size you believe you need to replace the single stick you have.

I was going to say send it back, but it's kind of difficult with a self built unit.

I think you need to follow medico and my advice especially about the memory, because some motherboards like it when there are matched pairs and not one stick and replace the cooling gel

I think you need to follow medico and my advice especially about the memory, because some motherboards like it when there are matched pairs and not one stick and replace the cooling gel

Okay I will look into doing this. It's a least $60 or so because ram prices went up dramatically a few months ago. I didn't know having a single stick could cause problems.

Could this potentially be causing it to shutoff? If it was would it be noted somewhere?

If you have verified there are no BSOD dump files. C:\Windows\MiniDump and C:\Windows\MEMORY.dmp then I would go into the event log > Windows Logs > System. Select Filter Current Log... check User32. If it's software related shutdown or restarts these logs will tell you what process initiated the shutdown

Back
Top Bottom