Windows 7 Newb with error code

Dcstevenson

Hello all, I just bought a used acer aspire 5734z-4725 laptop with Windows 7 off of craigslist. Everything works fine except when I try to connect to the internet. It brings up error code 651. my internet is a dsl connection from centurylink that is 1.5Mb. I have their basic router hooked straight to the laptop. I know it isn't the modem because I can hook it up to my ps3 and I can play online all day and night without a problem. before my old laptop got fried it worked on it. I've come to the conclusion that it has to be the computer. This is my first experience with windows 7 and I like it but I can't do much without internet. I have searched the internet and have found many different suggestions on how to fix it. I figured I would ask all of you for suggestions and instructions or at least point me in the right direction. Any help would be great.

Hello all, I just bought a used acer aspire 5734z-4725 laptop with Windows 7 off of craigslist. Everything works fine except when I try to connect to the internet. It brings up error code 651. my internet is a dsl connection from centurylink that is 1.5Mb. I have their basic router hooked straight to the laptop. I know it isn't the modem because I can hook it up to my ps3 and I can play online all day and night without a problem. before my old laptop got fried it worked on it. I've come to the conclusion that it has to be the computer. This is my first experience with windows 7 and I like it but I can't do much without internet. I have searched the internet and have found many different suggestions on how to fix it. I figured I would ask all of you for suggestions and instructions or at least point me in the right direction. Any help would be great.

Try to boot into safe mode with networking (F8key on startup) if that works then it is a software issue. If you still have the problem I would suggest trying one of the many solutions on the internet.

I have their basic router hooked straight to the laptop. I know it isn't the modem because I can hook it up to my ps3 and I can play online all day and night.
In addition to helpifIcan's suggestion, can you explain your network configuration for us because in the above quote from you original post it might be understood that you have two seperate devices, of which either may be an issue, but if you are using the two terms to describe the same device then perhaps you can tell us if your device has multiple switch ports or only a single port to support one device (computer or game console). Because sometimes when these types of devices are in place then the IP address that your computer or console receives are locked to a particular mac address and if you are switching device on a single port you will need to release and renew or reboot the ISP provided device in order to get a new DHCP lease for the alternate device. So we need to know that kind of stuff in order to provide a better answer. If your ISP provided device is in fact a multi-switch port router, then that is not a concern as it probably is capable of NAT as well as DHCP on it's own.
The best thing you can probably do to start with is determine what type of IP addressing scheme you are getting on the devices and compare them, if one device works fine and the other doesn't then comparing them may show the problem, everything should be the same (subnet mask, default gateway, DNS server(s)) and the actual IP address should be distinct and probably one off (has to be unique if multiple devices are connected to the same switch / hub.

Last edited:
Hello again. To clear things up a bit I don't have a router. The laptop is hooked straight to the modem and it is single port. It brings up that I am connected to an unidentified network and that it has no internet access. I tried to start it up in safe mode and all it did was squeal at me for about five seconds then it started up as usual. my modem is an EQ-660R

When you connect your computer to your ISP's device try opening a command prompt and type
ipconfig /release
and then
ipconfig /renew
and then
ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
then open your C drive and attach the ipconfig.txt file to your next post.
If still no joy, shut the computer down, turn off the ISP provided device (if it has a power button), remove the power cord from the wall or the back of the device, if it has a battery remove that too. Wait a full minute or two, put the battery back in, plug it back into the wall, power it up, wait again for another minute then fire up the computer and see what happens.

Hello again. I am now replying to you on my computer instead of my phone. I have it hooked up and it is working fine. Thank you for all of your help. I'm not quite sure what i did to get it to work but I'm not complaining. I tried all of your suggestions to no avail and I about gave up and got a hold of a computer shop to fix it. I noticed that it brings it up as a regular network instead of an unidentified network. Again, Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom