Windows 7 No Bass in Headphones

Occasionally when I'm using my PC, my headphones will no longer produce any bass. The sound is very flat, and empty. I've tested the headphones on other PC's and on my phone, and they produce a full-bass sound on those devices. Just not on my home Windows 7 PC. I've also tried different headphones, but the problem still remains. How do I fix this? Sorry if this doesn't make any sense.

Maybe try a different jack/plug in ... you may be plugged in to a speaker jack that requires powered (pre-amped) speakers.

Occasionally when I'm using my PC, my headphones will no longer produce any bass. The sound is very flat, and empty. I've tested the headphones on other PC's and on my phone, and they produce a full-bass sound on those devices. Just not on my home Windows 7 PC. I've also tried different headphones, but the problem still remains. How do I fix this? Sorry if this doesn't make any sense.

Make sure your headphones are at least 40 Ohms impedance or greater. Some computer sound circuits could have issues with impedance matching.

There is a remote possibility the jack in the computer where the headphones plugs in to has an issue, or the devices on the circuit board of the sound circuits have a problem. Most computers have two audio output jacks that are analog. Normally the rear one is for the speakers and the front one is for the headphones. Try connecting the headphones to the rear jack if you are using the front for them.

Most computers are using the sound from the motherboard. If there is a fault on the motherboard with the sound circuits which is possible, you can buy a sound card and install it on to the motherboard providing your motherboard has a spare slot for this. I have seen built on sound processing on the motherboard go defective. The same with the video processing.

As an alternative there are also USB sound decoders that can drive a headphones or speakers. A decent USB sound decoder can be on the expensive side. The same with an accessory sound card.

Back
Top Bottom