No bugs in Windows 7.....Yet!

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
No bugs in Windows 7 Link Removed due to 404 Error Link Removed due to 404 Error Written by Link Removed due to 404 Error Wednesday, 11 November 2009 09:22
windows_7_logo.jpg

Security fix free

While other operating systems in Microsoft's stable were given security patches yesterday there was one important one that was considered still fine to run. Most people expected a few things to be found wrong with the newly released Windows 7, however there were no patches for the operating system.

Ben Greenbaum, a researcher at the antivirus software company Symantec said he was not too surprised as it will take attackers will take more time to figure out ways of breaking into Windows 7. However the news does pour some cold water on the rumour being spread by Apple fanboys that Windows 7 is just Vista tarted up with a service pack. If this was the case, then if there was a patch for Vista there would be also one for Windows 7.

Flaws for Vista were patched on Tuesday, but Windows 7 users found their update machine curiously quiet. That is not to say, like a Snow Leopard user, that the OS is perfect.

However like Snow Leopard, Windows 7 use is too small for attackers to be bothered with yet.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Thanks Radenight although unfortunately I think the above statement is now incorrect as they've found a tiny bug somewhere.... If I find the web page again I'll post..

Found it

I found it...

First Windows 7 zero day exploit is spotted

You probably were not expecting this
By Link Removed - Invalid URL
Friday, 13 November 2009, 11:42

A WINDOWS 7 zero day exploit has been spotted just a day after the operating system was declared risk free in Microsoft's monthly security bulletin.
The newly found bug was discovered by Laurent Gaffie and details were posted on the Full Disclosure mailing list.
The Vole is investigating the reported flaw which basically crashes a Windows 7 system when exploited.
It is caused by a flaw in the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol that forms the backbone of Windows file sharing. When triggered, the flaw results in an infinite loop that renders the computer useless, or at least more useless than it was before when Windows was still running.
The vulnerability hits Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. There are a couple different proof-of-concept exploits circulating but nothing so far that indicates the flaw is being attacked.
Crashing the system is not really much good for hackers and the flaw does not provide any unauthorized remote access that could lead to compromising information or performing other malicious activities.
A work-around to fix the problem involves blocking TCP ports 135 through 139 along with port 445, which stops SMB traffic from entering the network.
All fairly minor and unlikely, still it does rain on the Vole's parade a little. On Tuesday it was proudly saying there were no security bugs in Windows 7 and now it has to admit that there is one, even if it is no big deal.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back
Top Bottom