Windows 7 no install screen, new blank hdd

ctankl

i couldn't find a topic on this, please direct me to one if there is

so my problem.

i'm trying to install win7 pro 64bit onto a new hdd (WD 1.5tb).
beginngin few attempts. i didn't format or partition through xp. just pluged it in (unplugged my xp hdd) put the win7 disc in. it goes past the "windows is loading", goes past the pretty blinking lights that turns into the windows logo. and then just gets stuck on a blank, black screen. no cursor, but my keyboard and mouse are lit up. i left it for abt 20mins

system spec:
intel i7 920 cpu
9600gt nvidia
asus pt6 deluxe v2 mobo
6gb ram

next couple (million) attempts, i had formatted and partitioned the new hdd through diskmgmt in xp. unplugged the xp hdd. tried installing, same result.

then i took the new hdd to my brother's comp (i7 920 cpu, n260gtx msi gfx, gigabyte ultra durable 3 mobo, 4gb ram), unplugged his xp hdd. i got a a pretty blue screen, with a little green bird on the side, there was a cursor. it spun for abit. cursor was movable. but the screen was just stuck there. i left it for abt 5mins but nothing...

anyone know what the problem is?
my copy of win7 is an iso i dl from the msdn site/program

update:

it got to installing on my brother's computer. but then it got stuck at expanding windows files (0%). anyways i've given up for now as i have to study for exams. but i read around that installing it from a usb instead of a disc works. so i might give that a try later too.

does anyone have any idea as to why it won't even get to the pretty blue screen with the bird on my computer, or even load the cursor? and do you think it'll affect win7 if i do get it successfully installed onto the hdd from my brother's computer, and then move the hdd back to my own computer?

Last edited:
I would probably try putting a partition on it the size I wanted to use for the Win 7 installation. Maybe the drive is so large it can't be recognized.

If you are doing an upgrade version of the DVD, you might want to leave the XP drive plugged in so it can see a prior OS. This will deactivate the XP Key, according to Microsoft.

i partitioned it to be 100gb. it doesn't even get up to that part anyways

no i'm not doing an upgrade. my xp is pirated. hence why i'm trying to install it onto a new hdd.
my friends have use the same iso to do a full install. so i know the iso shouldn't be the problem

I am having the same problem

I just tried to install Win7 Premium 64bit (OEM) to my current computer. I disconnected the old drive and hooked up a new 2TB drive. I got past the "Loading Windows", saw the floating/moving color blobs and then got to the blue background, keyboard flashed and mouse cursor appeared...but then nothing.

I switched back to the old drive and have now formatted the 2TB drive into 3 primary partitions of 80GB (for Win7), 60GB (for another OS) and the remainder will be for data.

Going to give it another try tomorrow to see if it gets past this blocker...will report back in the morning.

Oh... and I also tried removing the one card I had plugged in...a Hauppauge Dual Tuner PCIe...but that made no difference. With that removed it was just the motherboard - a ASUS P5N-EM HDMI

I'm guessing the iso was burned too fast.... that's a common problem.. burn the iso at 4x

Even microsoft is posting this as a fix now.

Finally Installed

So I read on another forum that the blue screen with bird freeze can sometimes just be the installer thinking...so I tried again and just let it sit there for a while...and after around 5 minutes it continued, i.e. I saw something change on the screen. Even then though the waits and pauses between steps was large and no feedback.

Overall, with my hardware, the install process was quite poor. It also can't cope with my Bluetooth mouse. It detects it but then automagically removes it the moment I try and do anything with it. I'll look for drivers.

But at least I'm in the game now so to speak.

Huw

grats
i had no luck there, as i got stuck on 0% at "expanding windows files" for over 2-3hrs

but yeh would still appreciate it greatly if someone had any idea as to why it won't get to the install screen on my computer, but works on another computer (up until the expanding part anyways =p).

So I read on another forum that the blue screen with bird freeze can sometimes... Huw

Here is the only thing I have found about a bird:

Exclusive:From Beta to RC,From Betta Fish to HummingBird

Link Removed - Invalid URL

The bird appears to be associated with an RC version. Why don't you try the final release?

grats
i had no luck there, as i got stuck on 0% at "expanding windows files" for over 2-3hrs
It might be related to your hard or hard drive system configuration. You might want to start a new thread, but if you have extra drives, try removing them and use just the one. If your hard drive is older and might be failing, perhaps a new drive might help.

It might be related to your hard or hard drive system configuration. You might want to start a new thread, but if you have extra drives, try removing them and use just the one. If your hard drive is older and might be failing, perhaps a new drive might help.

it is a new hdd..
to be honest i'm not too worried abt the expanding files problem, as everyone seems to have gotten over it eventually using different discs or usb. so eventually after many tries it'll prob install. but this is on my brother's computer

my original problem, which is this thread, is why i can't get to the install (pretty blue screen with bird) on my computer. what could the possible problems be? the discs (all 4 of them) aren't the problem as they work (well up to the expanding part) fine on my brother's computer. but my hardware should be able to handle win7, so i dunno what the problem is..

Back
Top Bottom