Windows 7 No internet access - constant "identifying..."

paperwalker

My computer (using windows 7 Ultimate built 7600) cannot connect to the internet, it keep saying "identifying ...", nothing more happen.

I tried both reinstall and ghost many times, no can do. The problem didn't occur after fresh install or ghost. I can connect to the network freely but after several hours, for example I was on the web, it just suddenly lost connection and the yelow ! appear.

I also tried the newest network driver (reatek), the same result.

My laptop (Macbook) which is using wifi network is fine. It can go to the net just like normal. I can connect to the gateway using my laptop (192.168.1.1) but the computer isn't - cannot ping any ip either. Note that the problem didn't occur in windows XP (same computer) so I guess it's windows 7's fault.

This is my ipconfig /all
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Cuong-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-1D-23-7C-09
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.20.15(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{523FCA6D-FE31-4924-95FA-247FC6E8E796}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Appreciate any advices. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Try,
Manually assigning static values for the IP addressing scheme for the network adapter
IP Address 192.168.1.223
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
Preferred DNS 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS 8.8.4.4
See if that makes any difference at all. Test by pinging the router, 192.168.1.1 other network nodes 192.168.1.nnn and the public ip addresses 64.233.169.99 keep us posted.
It looks like you have already unchecked IPv6 in the properties of your adapter, but if you haven't please do, for testing.

Try,
Manually assigning static values for the IP addressing scheme for the network adapter
IP Address 192.168.1.223
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
Preferred DNS 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS 8.8.4.4
See if that makes any difference at all. Test by pinging the router, 192.168.1.1 other network nodes 192.168.1.nnn and the public ip addresses 64.233.169.99 keep us posted.
It looks like you have already unchecked IPv6 in the properties of your adapter, but if you haven't please do, for testing.
I've just reinstall the OS, so far nothing wrong happen; the connection usually lost after a few times restart. However I'll do as you say and wait to see if this problem reappear.

Agreed with the previous reply, 169.254.20.15 is a zeroconf IP address that does not match your LAN range. As such it will never reach any host, so you need to get a correct IP either by setting it manually (as explained) or by getting it through DHCP.

The thing is you said it usually works for a while then you loose your IP. Thus I assume you do have a DHCP server (on your router probably) on your network, however it does not last long. It could be a conflict (such as several DHCP servers running at once - many devices come with built-in DHCP services but you only need 1 on your network) or a problem with the lease time of the allocated IPs.

See first how it goes with a manual IP, that is definitely the easiest way :)

Hth.

Thank for your helps, seem that manually correct IP address solve the problem. It works like a charm now :D

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and since the static IP addressing seems to have resolved the problem, I would look towards the router and see if the manufacturer has a current firmware update that may help resolve the DHCP issues. Make sure you read any and all directions regarding the firmware update as a bad upgrade can potentially brick the router
Best of Luck

Back
Top Bottom