Windows 10 No kbd or mouse after upgrade

sargan

Extraordinary Member
Running W7 on a modern desktop (Asus mobo)

I had put this off for a long time - hoping it would be stable by time I upgrade.

Followed full update process - al up to date before upgrade.
After 100% upgrade ... it rebooted and got to to login screen - would not accept any mouse of keyboard input (both are USB)
Reboot and at BIOS level the mouse & kybd work fine.
As soon as I boot up OS they don't work ....

I then tried a (very old) PS2 kybd ... that did work and allow me to login ... but mouse still not working.
Mouse does power up (LED) but no cursor on screen.

Notifications that some things are being updated - so network access is fine.
I have an old PS2 mouse but PC only has 1 PS2 port .... if I plug in mouse into it ... there is a beep but still no cursor.

It looks like all files are there - it has network access ... just can't get any USB devices to work

Help - please - need to resolve ASAP

Hi Sargen,
check in your bios for enabling legacy USB device,

After you upgraded did you install the latest drivers?

If you post the make and model of your machine as well as the name of the mouse we will find the drivers for you.

I did not install drivers 'after' upgrade as unable to get USB kbd & mouse working so could not drive the PC.
I am not familiar where I would set BIOS to enable legacy drivers .. is it in main BIOS screen and an option that is obvious

Make and model of mouse not relevant as tried several .... no USB device would work ..
machine is based on ASUS P8Z77-Vle mobo and bios & chipset are up to date.
ASUS web page confirms I have latest USB drivers for W7 ... but does not list any drivers for W10

Hi,
well you do have some windows 10 drivers available on the support page. Is it possible you could use the old PS/2 keyboard to install your drivers?

P8Z77-V LE - Support

Try installing the chipset drivers first. Check Device manager that you don't have any yellow question marks too.

Lastly which Bios version are you using?

Most likely a bios update or flash is needed as kemical is looking at. Make certain you are not using the usb 3.0 ports as in so many cases those need motherboard drivers after arriving in Windows. You can spot the usb 3.0 ports because they have mostly light blue insets.

Did you run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST prior to your W10 upgrade? If not, you might consider backing up all your personal data to external media and performing a rollback to Win7. [you only have 30 days after the W10 upgrade in which to do this!]. After the rollback to Win7, re-run the W10 upgrade, or do a W10 clean install (MS servers will keep your license key after your initial upgrade, so you don't need to worry about that). Upon entering the W10 upgrade or clean install, you will have an opportunity to run the built-in W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST which you should do. Here's a link showing you how:
Get Windows 10 app - Check Compatibility Report for Windows 10

It would be best to run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST after doing the BIOS upgrade, as from what we've seen ASUS doesn't have native driver support for your Mobo at the W10 level on their website. That's a sure sign that Mobo won't work correctly on W10 IMO.

One thing not mentioned, and I'd be remiss if I didn't say it; if you've never done a BIOS upgrade before, DON'T!! BIOS upgrades are extremely high-risk and can brick your Motherboard into unuseability!! :headache: If you've never done it before, I strongly urge you to take to your local Computer Professional (A+ licensed) and pay them to do it for you. Then run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST. If you do the BIOS upgrade yourself or pay a Pro to do for you and you get errors from the Test, you must resolve all of them so the Test passes without errors. If you cannot do this then that Mobo is not compatible with W10, and you would need to replace it with a new one to make it so. Since it seems you have a self-built PC, this most likely would require a complete rebuild due to case/ram/cpu/gpu/psu considerations.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back