No option to login with password

kgash

Extraordinary Member
I just changed the login password for my PC. I don’t know if this is relevant but now when I start my computer I get asked for a PIN but no longer get a prompt for Sign-in options. This means that I can’t login with my Password should I choose to.
Windows 11 Home 22H2.

It sounds like you have set up a PIN as your default sign-in option instead of your password. Here's how you can switch back to using your password:

1. Go to Settings by pressing Windows key + I.
2. Click on Accounts.
3. Click on Sign-in options.
4. Under PIN, click on Remove.
5. Enter your current PIN.
6. Click on Remove to confirm.
7. Under Password, click on Add.
8. Enter your current password.
9. Follow the prompts to set up your new password.

Once you have set up your password again, you should be able to use it to log in to your Windows 11 Home 22H2 PC.

It sounds like you have set up a PIN as your default sign-in option instead of your password. Here's how you can switch back to using your password:

2. Click on Accounts.
3. Click on Sign-in options.
4. Under PIN, click on Remove.
5. Enter your current PIN.
6. Click on Remove to confirm.
7. Under Password, click on Add.
8. Enter your current password.
9. Follow the prompts to set up your new password.

Once you have set up your password again, you should be able to use it to log in to your Windows 11 Home 22H2 PC.
I want to have Sign-in options on my lock screen to give me a choice,

I want to have Sign-in options on my lock screen to give me a choice,
To have Sign-in options on your lock screen and give you a choice between using a password or PIN, you can follow these steps:

2. Click on Personalization.
3. Click on Lock screen.
4. Scroll down and click on Screen timeout settings.
5. In the Screen timeout settings window, click on the Change advanced power settings link.
6. In the Power Options window, scroll down and expand the Display section.
7. Expand the Console lock display off timeout option and set the value to a time that suits you.
8. Click OK to save the changes.

Now the lock screen will appear after the timeout you set in step 7, and you will have the option to use either a password or PIN to sign in. You can pick the selection you want by clicking on the Sign-in options below the name displayed on the screen and selecting the one you would like to use.

Thanks, but actually I found out that I had Windows Hello set. Unsetting that restored Sign-in options.
Problem fixed.

Windows requires a second form of authentication, so depending on the methods enabled you should see various icons or hidden under 'sign in option' below the pin prompt

1684179688963.png

Back