Windows 7 No Sound, Tried Everything, Please Help!

If it's not an on board sound card, open the computer case and check if the sound card is firmly in place and didn't become lose.
No idea if it is or isn't, or how to find it if I did open the case.

This might sound strange, but try connecting the speakers to the microphone slot. Also, see if there are any other green slots to connect the speakers to.
There's a slot on the front and back, both of them have the same problem.

Do you have any 3rd party audio codecs installed? Uninstall them if you do and restart the computer.
Don't have any.
Go to Control panel----->Sound----->Speakers(DoubleClick it)
In the Speaker properties window, go to Enhancements tab... Select the Speaker Fill ... Then Check the speaker... see if your your 5.1 or 2.1 works.
Speaker Fill isn't one of the options. It just has sound effects: Environment, Voice Cancellation, Pitch Shift, Equalizer, Virtual Surround, Loudness Equalization.

Unplug the speakers, move them to a different sound port (doesn't matter which one), and then move them back to the speaker port.
Didn't work.
Sometimes after putting the system in hibernate mode and coming back, the audio worked.
Didn't work.
Check this
Link Removed - Invalid URL
Didn't work.
Also, now I can hear from the speakers as well, but the volume is very low, just like the headphones. I have to like press my ear against the speakers.

UPDATE:I plugged the headphones into the audio inputs on the front and rear of the computer, and both had the same effect.

Forgive me for being picky... but don't you mean audio outputs. (In this case it does matter.)

Ok, so you've got some sound there but it's almost inaudible... This tells me your computer thinks it's doing audio but there's a disconnect someplace between the sound chip and audio jacks...

There could be lots of reasons for this...
1) Bad connections. Check all connections between your motherboard, soundcard and case. It could just be some dirt or a connector worked itself loose, but you won't know till you look.

2) Blown audio chip. Yes it does happen, hardware still fails.

3) Mangled jacks... I've seen this more than once... people are rough with the headphone and microphone jacks and end up destroying them. The only solution is to replace them... and if they're on your motherboard that's not a cheap proposition.

4) Bad speaker wires... Happens all the time. People pull them out and plug them in all the time, they move them around, they yank on them and it 's only a question of time before a wire breaks.

Some quicky tests...
1) Hook your speakers up to a different computer (or your iPod)... Do they work?
2) Plug your headphones into a different computer (or iPod)... Does that work?
3) Hook a different set of speakers to your comuter... Does that work?

If 1 and 2 work but 3 does not... I'm sorry to say, you've got a bit of a hardware problem.

Last edited:
Sometimes with a weird driver installed, the outputs and inputs become switched (by the software)...so that's why Zvit was saying that.
Shouldn't be a problem now of course, since the OP installed the latest driver from Realtek's site for the HD Audio.

Mahirzdaman, click the speaker icon in the system tray. Then click on mixer. Make sure system sounds is set to a high volume, and Realtek too.

Last edited:
1) Bad connections.

Play something and while it's playing, slowly pull the wire in and out of it's jack... do you hear a change of volume and\or crackling sounds as you move the wire in and out? If so, CommonTater may be right about the connections.

Play something and while it's playing, slowly pull the wire in and out of it's jack... do you hear a change of volume and\or crackling sounds as you move the wire in and out? If so, CommonTater may be right about the connections.
Problem is that the volume is so low, even it was crackling, I wouldn't be able to tell.

Sometimes with a weird driver installed, the outputs and inputs become switched (by the software)...so that's why Zvit was saying that.
Shouldn't be a problem now of course, since the OP installed the latest driver from Realtek's site for the HD Audio.

Mahirzdaman, click the speaker icon in the system tray. Then click on mixer. Make sure system sounds is set to a high volume, and Realtek too.
It's all been on high the whole time.

Forgive me for being picky... but don't you mean audio outputs. (In this case it does matter.)

Ok, so you've got some sound there but it's almost inaudible... This tells me your computer thinks it's doing audio but there's a disconnect someplace between the sound chip and audio jacks...

There could be lots of reasons for this...
1) Bad connections. Check all connections between your motherboard, soundcard and case. It could just be some dirt or a connector worked itself loose, but you won't know till you look.
I don't think it's very likely that that happened in the front and back at the same time.
2) Blown audio chip. Yes it does happen, hardware still fails.
Wouldn't that mean no audio at all?
3) Mangled jacks... I've seen this more than once... people are rough with the headphone and microphone jacks and end up destroying them. The only solution is to replace them... and if they're on your motherboard that's not a cheap proposition.
Again, I almost never touched the one in the back, so that's not what happened.
4) Bad speaker wires... Happens all the time. People pull them out and plug them in all the time, they move them around, they yank on them and it 's only a question of time before a wire breaks.
Tried two different kinds of speakers, with different wires, and headphones, and still the same problem.
Some quicky tests...
1) Hook your speakers up to a different computer (or your iPod)... Do they work?
Yes, they work with iPhone 4.
2) Plug your headphones into a different computer (or iPod)... Does that work?
Yes, they work with iPhone 4.
3) Hook a different set of speakers to your comuter... Does that work?
The only other speakers I have are mini ones that go into the headphone jack, an they don't work.
If 1 and 2 work but 3 does not... I'm sorry to say, you've got a bit of a hardware problem.

So now what? Do I have to get it opened up and looked at?

So now what? Do I have to get it opened up and looked at?

It looks that way.

Most audio chips (both on sound cards and motherboards) include a small power amplifier, just enough to drive headphones. Many things can damage that part of the chip leaving you with very low level audio, or none at all.

Check your manufacturer's warranty... you might get it fixed for free. If not there are still some relatively inexpensive fixes you can use...
If this is a motherboard based sound, you can probably fix it by installing a sound card.
Of course if it's a sound card, you just replace it.

So it's not like the end of the world...

Last edited:
It looks that way.

Most audio chips (both on sound cards and motherboards) include a small power amplifier, just enough to drive headphones. Many things can damage that part of the chip leaving you with very low level audio, or none at all.

Check your manufacturer's warranty... you might get it fixed for free. If not there are still some relatively inexpensive fixes you can use...
If this is a motherboard based sound, you can probably fix it by installing a sound card.
Of course if it's a sound card, you just replace it.

So it's not like the end of the world...
How do I find out if it's a sound card or on the motherboard? :confused:

Are the connectors you plug your speakers into vertical along the upper part of one side of the case or are they hoizontal sticking out from a metal blade near the bottom?

Vertical ... it's a motherboard sound chip.
Horizontal ... it's a separate sound card.

Laptops are always motherboard chips.
MP3 and AVI players are always motherboard.

It's only in desktop machines where you find both types.

Back