No TCPIP properties after recovery

MikeyChris

Honorable Member
After restoring an old XP Home machine to initial state, I can't seem to connect to the internet. The machine is working fine with my workgroup (Win 7, 8.1 & 10 systems on that group), but TCP/IP doesn't show up in the LAN Properties.

I am using an ARRIS gateway (cable modem, router & switch), and as I said the network portion seems to be OK, but when I right click the LAN there is no PROPERTIES tab, so no where to set up TCPIP. Microsoft used to offer an auto fixit, but they retired it.

Any ideas why I have no TCPIP properties? BTW, I can ping from and to this computer using TCPIP addresses, and I can actually use a browser to connect to MSN & Bing (maybe the HOSTS file has TCP/IP address that don't need to be resolved by DNS???).

Since I restored, the browser is an OLD copy of IE (ver 6), and obviously all the updates are not applied.

I remember having this issue a long time ago (no internet, but workgroup working OK).

Any help is appreciated.

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
I would look at method 6 for re-installing TCP/IP Fix: One or More Network Protocols Are Missing - Appuals.com Side note, I wouldn't even allow this computer to access the internet. Windows XP is EOL and there are a ton of known unpatched exploits, so you're just asking for trouble.

This error is caused when some Windows Sockets registry entries are missing and it makes the system fails to connect to the internet but try disabling IPv6 or check {Solved} One or More Network Protocols are Missing on This Computer this one. I would recommend disabling IPv6 and for this, you need to follow these steps:
1. Type ncpa.cpl in the run window.
2. Then, select network adapter and click on its properties.
3. Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and click on OK.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.