Windows 7 No Windows 7 for Vista Home Basic users?

AcousticMinja

Honorable Member
So I've been reading some news about windows 7 release dates, specifications, types, etc. I recently found out that there will be some sort of a "free discount" upgrade to Windows 7 for Vista Premium, Business, and Ultimate users. Well I find that fine and dandy but there's just one snitch...They left out Home Basic!
Is it just me, or does this seem a little bit discriminatory? I'm a Vista Home Basic user and I find this a little bit outrageous!
I read up on this and found a few interesting things in this article right here:

Microsoft to offer 'special' Windows 7 upgrade deals | Vista Home

To quote: "That leaves out Vista Home Basic, the lowest-priced edition available in most markets, including the U.S. 'Windows Home Basic is not in scope for this program as there is no 'like' version of Windows 7 in mature markets,' said the site."

Okay, that's understandable but for whatever reason (too many bugs, too slow, etc) shouldn't home basic users get a piece of the cake too? They could simply give us the discount to the Windows 7 Premium edition! I purchased my copy of Vista long ago when Premium was a bit too expensive for me and I knew I wouldn't get certain features but I find this new ordeal pretty ridiculous! So I'm pretty much stuck with paying a huge price for it?

Windows Vista Home Basic users (or others) what are your thoughts on this?

This only works if you buy a new computer with home basic between now and october 22nd. And home premium and ultimate new pc sales are increasing with hardly any home basic now since most computers can run home premium.

I'm only using Windows 7 now. It blows Vista out of the water. I am using Cakewalk Sonar to record my music and I have never had this much success with any Windows OS until now. Works like a charm. I am able to use every application so far with no glitches. If this is any indication of the quality that will be sold to the public Oct 22, people will surely have a new found confidence in Microsoft.

This only works if you buy a new computer with home basic between now and october 22nd. And home premium and ultimate new pc sales are increasing with hardly any home basic now since most computers can run home premium.

as above. home basic is rarely found on computers now, the only ones who ship thier computers with home basic are the mobile broadband companies who offer laptops as part of the deal

this is usually done to keep costs down whilst offering a decent spec laptop to thier customers

So I've been reading some news about windows 7 release dates, specifications, types, etc. I recently found out that there will be some sort of a \"free discount\" upgrade to Windows 7 for Vista Premium, Business, and Ultimate users. Well I find that fine and dandy but there's just one snitch...They left out Home Basic!
Is it just me, or does this seem a little bit discriminatory? I'm a Vista Home Basic user and I find this a little bit outrageous!
I read up on this and found a few interesting things in this article right here:

Microsoft to offer 'special' Windows 7 upgrade deals | Vista Home

To quote: \"That leaves out Vista Home Basic, the lowest-priced edition available in most markets, including the U.S. 'Windows Home Basic is not in scope for this program as there is no 'like' version of Windows 7 in mature markets,' said the site.\"

Okay, that's understandable but for whatever reason (too many bugs, too slow, etc) shouldn't home basic users get a piece of the cake too? They could simply give us the discount to the Windows 7 Premium edition! I purchased my copy of Vista long ago when Premium was a bit too expensive for me and I knew I wouldn't get certain features but I find this new ordeal pretty ridiculous! So I'm pretty much stuck with paying a huge price for it?

Windows Vista Home Basic users (or others) what are your thoughts on this?

To add another point. Windows Vista Home Basic does not include aero support and such and windows 7 home basic might not either.

I figured the main reason. Since when vista was around the two versions that shipped with new pcs were home premium and home basic. Now its Home Premium and Professional. And Microsoft says that 7 Home Basic is with oems only and will proboly be used for some netbooks. With others using windows 7 starter. They will not sell home basic via disks so you can't.

Only Ultimate,Professional and Home Premium are avalible on disk from shops and such.

Back