Windows 8 Non-Metro icons blank

gaitch32

My icons that are regular windows icons are showing up like they are blank. They really are not but they are covered up by and blank white graphic. I tried deleting the icons cache and that didn't work. Otherwise everything else works fine.

Any ideas on how to repair it?

Thanks

Attachments

• Admin Tools.png
    Admin Tools.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 682
  • desktop.png
    desktop.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 416
Hi,
is this a new install? Were your icons like this when you first installed windows 8 preview? If so, then you might need to check your install media. Is the download ok? If it's in iso form was it burnt too fast?

If on the other hand this has just happened then you might want to consider virus activity or rolling the system back.

Hi,
is this a new install? Were your icons like this when you first installed windows 8 preview? If so, then you might need to check your install media. Is the download ok? If it's in iso form was it burnt too fast?

If on the other hand this has just happened then you might want to consider virus activity or rolling the system back.

It's and older install and everything was fine. Since the first post I think I figured out that it happened when I updated my video drivers. I didn't notice it until I went into admin tools because all of the metro icons are fine.

Anyway, I tried to roll back the driver and it won't because it says something is corrupt and system restore just hangs. I did a full AV scan and nothing came up. I think I will just try a refresh. I don't have that many programs on that I will need to deal with.

Thanks for your quick reply.

We will be here if you need us.. Hope it goes well....

We will be here if you need us.. Hope it goes well....

I ended up having to do a complete reinstall. The refresh didn't seem to like that it was on a virtual partition. I also tried to reload it with Power Shell from Windows 7 which contains the virtual partition. It loaded and I could see all my stuff but when I booted it, it hung on configuring the drivers. I am guessing that it was the ATI driver for Windows 8. I noticed the problem about a day after I installed that.

I am running on Windows 8 right now and using an old Vista driver and it works just fine, even the touch features. I am going to stay away from the Win 8 drivers for a while.

Thanks for all of the quick responses.

Back