Windows 7 Not Detecting Home Group

Morhsn

Hi guys,
So... I'm trying to connect two computers which are on the same network. both computers connect to the network via wifi... I want to connect them to the home group (or whatever it's called) to share printers and stuff like that but when I create a group in one of the computers the other one simply acts as though there's no group and offers me the only option of creating a new group...

What may be causing it and how can I fix it?

Thanks alot!

Are both computers using Win 7?

Do you have the sharing enabled so as to be able to see the home group?

Do you have the password for the home group?

Are both computers using Win 7?

Do you have the sharing enabled so as to be able to see the home group?

Do you have the password for the home group?
Thanks for trying to help :)

Yes, both computers are using win 7 ultimate.

How can I "enable sharing"? What I did was create a group in one and then go to the settings of home group in the other but it showed as thouh there is no group created.

It gives me the passwords for both the home groups (one of each computer) but neither computers allows me to join the existing one created on the other PC.

I do not know if you can create homegroups on both systems and then join the other. Just create a homegroup on one then join from the other.

Do you have any firewalls that might be blocking the other computer.

There is a homegroup trouble shooter, so create the home group on one, make sure the Homegroup share settting are allow sharing, then go to the other machine and run the troubleshooter.

Can you see the other computer at all. Can you ping it or see any shares on the other system?

I do not know if you can create homegroups on both systems and then join the other. Just create a homegroup on one then join from the other.

Do you have any firewalls that might be blocking the other computer.

There is a homegroup trouble shooter, so create the home group on one, make sure the Homegroup share settting are allow sharing, then go to the other machine and run the troubleshooter.

Can you see the other computer at all. Can you ping it or see any shares on the other system?
I can't join from the other because when I create a group on one computer it does not show up in the other one and the only option it shows is to create a new one on the other computer as well...

I use bitdefender Internet security 2010, would that block that? o.o

I do not run bit defender, but can you disable it while you are checking. Since you are working on your LAN, you do not need the internet connection to be active if you are worried about it.

What did the troubleshooter say? Homegroups need IPv6 to work, perhaps yours is turned off or the router or firewall is not allowing that.

It has been my experience that Homegroups are very easy to set up, but the computers have to see each other.

I do not run bit defender, but can you disable it while you are checking. Since you are working on your LAN, you do not need the internet connection to be active if you are worried about it.

What did the troubleshooter say? Homegroups need IPv6 to work, perhaps yours is turned off or the router or firewall is not allowing that.

It has been my experience that Homegroups are very easy to set up, but the computers have to see each other.
The problem was in fact bitDefnder's firewall.

Thank you so much man!

Back