Windows 10 Not exactly the BSOD but Win10's startup is broken.

LesM

This issue is my friend's who has spent many hours building data using non-Microsoft apps. His laptop refuses to start up into Win10. Microsoft agent says the way forward is to do a custom install on the C: drive. There are three other drives that my friend has created on his 1TB HDD. He wants no risk of losing his data. The Startup auto repair cannot repair. I can get into CMD but I don't know any command lines that would help. I know basic dos.
Surely there's a work around since all Windows system folders are there. I swapped his hdd with a fresh Windows hdd and can access all his folders as an external drive.
At one point I tried a custom install but the reported error after seemingly doing this was presented as cannot format this partition or similar.
I no longer have the faulty laptop since I suggested that he manually copied over his data, but he thinks some of the data may be created within the apps' folders.
Microsoft need to get a grip of such a situation and offer/create a repair that works. I have Win10 on a memory stick.
Anny hope of a solution out there?
LesM

Microsoft need to get a grip of such a situation and offer/create a repair that works. I have Win10 on a memory stick.
Anny hope of a solution out there?
LesM
There is so little substance to the description of what software has been used, what processes have been run, what data has been input/out from/to where. You quote your friend as "thinks some of the data may be created within the apps' folders." but seem unsure about that. There is so little for anyone to go on that neither Microsoft or anyone else has even a remote chance of knowing where to begin. You might statrt by listing the "non-Microsoft apps" which have been run, using what data and with what objectives.

apart from what apps he has installed, it is Windows that is failing to boot - why? So I am told by the Philippines call centre that I must do an inplace custom install, but this also fails. I want M/S to be able to solve the non-start.

I have used Windows since its inception way back in the days of mono coloured screens and have never corrupted a system yet. I have never relied on many months of hard graft creating whatever is so important that it must be recoverable. Backup then shutup is the motto here. No one could do what he wants and get Windows to boot without a custom install - not even Bill Gates. iOS is so much more reliable but it is too monopolised by Apple.

If it's a problem with the actual boot process then you'd need to use bcdboot and bootrect utilities from the WinRE bootable environment which can be accessed either from a Windows install usb/dvd or from the recovery partition which most Windows installs have (pressing F8 during startup and select recovery). If there is corruption in the operating system that's generally the result of hardware issues such as failed or failing hard drives, hard drives with bad sectors or transient memory issues this can happen in any operating system.

Thanks Neemobeer. I have discovered that the user has deleted the Windows partitions that are automatically created during installation while using a third party partitioning utility. I have never used BCDboot nor bootrect utilities that you mention. I will follow up these utilities in the hope of some joy. Thank you for the lead/advice. Do you know if these Windows partitions are recoverable?

• Boot to the Windows recovery environment > command prompt
  • Type diskpart
  • Type list disk you should be able to ID the disk by it's size (don't pick your usb obviously)
  • select disk # #is the the number from the last command (also make note of the GPT column [* or no *])
  • If there is no * then type create partition MSR or if there is a * type create partition EFI
  • Now type list vol, you need to locate your Windows install, should generally be the largest with Boot in the Info column and has a drive letter (make note of that drive letter)
  • Type exit to drop back to the command prompt
  • If the Windows drive letter is D for example type bcdboot /S D:\Windows
  • Reboot
  • Done

Fantastic, Neemobeer. I bow to your knowledge. I am A+ qualified only. I have phoned the user to keep his original HDD because of the hope you gave me. He is 10 miles away but I will get hold of his HDD and perform this series of commands. I appreciate this, with anticipation of a positive outcome. Thank you again.

Back