Windows 7 Notepad message on startup

lber1568

I installed Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit on HP DV9827 laptop. First attempt at clean install, remove old partition, gave me Driver_Power_State_Failure message when trying to set functions. I started over and redid install and other than having to manually shut down couple times when system should have done auto shut down all seems ok, except I get a Notepad window on startup as follws:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787

Everything seems to work ok, but it is annoying to have to close out after start up.

I installed Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit on HP DV9827 laptop. First attempt at clean install, remove old partition, gave me Driver_Power_State_Failure message when trying to set functions. I started over and redid install and other than having to manually shut down couple times when system should have done auto shut down all seems ok, except I get a Notepad window on startup as follws:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787

Everything seems to work ok, but it is annoying to have to close out after start up.
I believe you are dscribing the Desktop.ini Startup Bug reported in Build 7058

You can use the following steps to stop this annoyance:

First you should Unhide System files by:
  • Right click Start button > open Windows Explorer
  • From Left Pane click Organize down arrowhead
  • Click Folder and Search Options
  • Click View tab
  • Scroll down to and dot (.) Show hiddden files, folders and drives
  • Click and remove check marks from the next 3 Check Boxes [ ]
  • Click Yes to affirm
Then do the following numbered steps:

1. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
2. Delete desktop.ini
3. Navigate to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
4. Delete desktop.ini if present

Last edited:
Good catch cmn,:)

When I saw this [.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21787

I figured that was the problem.

Good catch cmn,:)

When I saw this [.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21787

I figured that was the problem.
Thanks :) yeah, this has been posted in the Forum once before. I only had to add the part dealing with revealing system files to facilitate the seach path (normally hidden) to the destination file.
Glad the OP could fix the problem, as expected, in th next post.

Thanks :) yeah, this has been posted in the Forum once before. I only had to add the part dealing with revealing system files to facilitate the seach path (normally hidden) to the destination file.
Glad the OP could fix the problem, as expected, in th next post.

If you had chosen a later build you could have avoided the problem . Why have you chosen to install a fairly old build rather then a newer build or even the RC ?

Back
Top Bottom