NVIDIA GPU Display driver contains multiple vulnerabilities

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Nvidia have recognised several vulnerabilities within their recent drivers and have made steps to seal these off. Anyone using Nvidia drivers should update to the latest version (382.05):

Security Bulletin: NVIDIA GPU Display driver contains multiple vulnerabilities in the kernel mode layer handler
Answer ID 4462

Updated 05/15/2017 10:25 AM
NVIDIA GPU DISPLAY DRIVER VULNERABILITIES MAY LEAD TO DENIAL OF SERVICE OR POTENTIAL ESCALATION OF PRIVILEGES

Go to NVIDIA Product Security.

Vulnerability Details
The following sections summarize the vulnerabilities and lists their CVSS risk assessments.

CVE-2017-0341
NVIDIA Windows GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer (nvlddmkm.sys) handler for DxgDdiEscape, where user provided input can trigger an access to a pointer that has not been initialized, which may lead to denial of service or potential escalation of privileges.

CVSS Base Score: 8.8
CVSS Temporal Score: 7.9
CVSS Vector: CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H/E:p/RL:O/RC:C

CVE-2017-0342
NVIDIA Windows GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer (nvlddmkm.sys) handler, where incorrect calculation may cause an invalid address access, which may lead to denial of service or potential escalation of privileges.

CVE-2017-0343
NVIDIA Windows GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer (nvlddmkm.sys), where users can trigger a race condition because of lack of synchronization in two functions, which may lead to a denial of service or potential escalation of privileges.

CVE-2017-0344
NVIDIA Windows GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer (nvlddmkm.sys) handler for DxgDdiEscape, which may allow users to gain access to arbitrary physical memory, leading to escalation of privileges.

CVSS Temporal Score: 7.9 CVSS Vector: CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H/E:U/RL:O/RC:C

CVE-2017-0345
NVIDIA Windows GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer (nvlddmkm.sys) handler for DxgDdiEscape, where user-provided input used as an array size that is not correctly validated allows out-of-bound access in kernel memory and may lead to denial of service or potential escalation of privileges.

CVE-2017-0346
NVIDIA Windows GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer (nvlddmkm.sys) handler for DxgkDdiEscape, where the size of an input buffer is not validated, which may lead to denial of service or potential escalation of privileges.

CVE-2017-0347
NVIDIA Windows GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer (nvlddmkm.sys) handler for DxgkDdiEscape, where a value passed from a user to the driver is not correctly validated and used as the index to an array, which may lead to denial of service or potential escalation of privileges.

CVE-2017-0348
NVIDIA Windows GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer (nvlddmkm.sys) handler, where a NULL pointer dereference may lead to denial of service or potential escalation of privileges.

CVE-2017-0349
NVIDIA Windows GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer (nvlddmkm.sys) handler for DxgkDdiEscape, where a pointer passed from a user to the driver that is not correctly validated before it is dereferenced for a write operation may lead to denial of service or potential escalation of privileges.

CVE-2017-0350
NVIDIA GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer handler, where a value passed from a user to the driver that is not correctly validated and used in an offset calculation may lead to denial of service or potential escalation of privileges.

CVE-2017-0351
NVIDIA GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer handler where a NULL pointer dereference caused by invalid user input may lead to denial of service or potential escalation of privileges.

CVE-2017-0352
NVIDIA GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the GPU firmware, where incorrect access control may allow CPU software to access sensitive GPU control registers, which may lead to an escalation of privileges.

CVSS Base Score: 8.2
CVSS Temporal Score: 7.4
CVSS Vector: CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:H/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H/E:p/RL:O/RC:C

CVE-2017-0353
NVIDIA GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer handler for DxgDdiEscape where improper locking on certain conditions may lead to a denial of service.

CVSS Base Score: 6.5
CVSS Temporal Score: 5.9
CVSS Vector: CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:N/I:N/A:H/E:p/RL:O/RC:C

CVE-2017-0354
NVIDIA Windows GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer handler for DxgkDdiEscape, where a call to certain functions requiring lower IRQL can be made under raised IRQL, which may lead to a denial of service.

CVSS Base Score: 5.6
CVSS Temporal Score: 5.1
CVSS Vector: CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:H/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:N/I:N/A:H/E:p/RL:O/RC:C

CVE-2017-0355
NVIDIA Windows GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in the kernel mode layer handler for DxgkDdiEscape, where it may access paged memory while holding a spin lock, which may lead to a denial of service.

CVSS Base Score: 5.6
CVSS Temporal Score: 5.1
CVSS Vector: CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:H/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:N/I:N/A:H/E:p/RL:O/RC:C

NVIDIA’s risk assessment is based on an average of risk across a diverse set of installed systems and may not represent the true risk of your local installation. NVIDIA recommends consulting a security or IT professional to evaluate the risk of your specific configuration. NVIDIA doesn’t know of any exploits to these issues at this time.

Affected Products
CVE Product Impacted Installed Component OS
CVE-2017-0341
CVE-2017-0342
CVE-2017-0343
CVE-2017-0344
CVE-2017-0345
CVE-2017-0346
CVE-2017-0347
CVE-2017-0348
CVE-2017-0349
CVE-2017-0353
CVE-2017-0354
CVE-2017-0355 GeForce
NVS
Quadro
Tesla Graphics Driver Windows
CVE-2017-0350
CVE-2017-0351
CVE-2017-0352 GeForce
NVS
Quadro
Tesla
Graphics Driver

Windows
Linux
FreeBSD
Solaris
Fixes
Download the fixes from the NVIDIA Driver Downloads page.

WINDOWS
Product Product Series OS Driver Branch 1st version that includes the fix
GeForce All Windows R381 382.05
Quadro, NVS All Windows R381 382.05
R375 377.35
Tesla All Windows R375 377.35
LINUX
Product Product Series OS Driver Branch 1st version that includes the fix
GeForce All Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris R381 381.22
R375 375.66
Quadro, NVS All Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris R381 381.22
R375 375.66
Tesla All Linux R375 375.66
Mitigations
None.

Acknowledgements
None.

Revision History
Revision Date Description
1.0 May 9, 2017 Initial release
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
HOW DO I KNOW WHAT DRIVER VERSION I HAVE INSTALLED?
  1. Launch Windows Device Manager.
  2. Select Display Adapters.
  3. Select the NVIDIA GPU node and right-click.
  4. Go to the Driver tab.
The driver version can be deciphered as shown in the following examples: 10.18.13.6472 is 364.72 and 10.18.13.472 is 304.72

Disclaimer
ALL NVIDIA INFORMATION, DESIGN SPECIFICATIONS, REFERENCE BOARDS, FILES, DRAWINGS, DIAGNOSTICS, LISTS, AND OTHER DOCUMENTS (TOGETHER AND SEPARATELY, “MATERIALS”) ARE BEING PROVIDED “AS IS.” NVIDIA MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY, OR OTHERWISE WITH RESPECT TO THE MATERIALS, AND ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.

Information furnished is believed to be accurate and reliable. However, NVIDIA Corporation assumes no responsibility for the consequences of use of such information or for any infringement of patents or other rights of third parties that may result from its use. No license is granted by implication or otherwise under any patent or patent rights of NVIDIA Corporation. Specifications mentioned in this publication are subject to change without notice. This publication supersedes and replaces all information previously supplied. NVIDIA Corporation products are not authorized for use as critical components in life support devices or systems without express written approval of NVIDIA Corporation.
Reference

Back