Nvidia to force driver updates through Geforce Experience.

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphics and Gaming' started by kemical, Oct 15, 2015.

1. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Nvidia may have just done AMD a huge favour. Starting in the near future Nvidia driver updates will be accessible first via the Geforce Experience application which many consider bloatware (myself included). You will be able to download direct from the site (Geforce.com) but only on a quarterly basis.

Reference

So the end user loses out again. Oh I'm sure it will be all very efficient and Nvidia will crow about it being a better service but one has to wonder why go to all the trouble? It's one way to lock Nvidia users into using the Geforce Experience app as well as the advertisements it carries.....

ussnorway likes this.
  2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Hopefully I'll still be able to perform a custom clean install.
    IF so then I'll just uncheck Geforce Experience along with the 3D stuff I generally uncheck when I install an nVidia driver.

3. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

mmm at the moment I'll take any hoop that gives me a solid driver... I'll cut the adds out later with regedit hex code if I have to.

Thanks for the link mate.

4. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

I don't like the auto update for drivers. A few years ago Nvidia released one that had a bug for the fan speed and I fried the video card. I don't mess with the drivers much unless there is a problem or security issue. If it ain't broke don't fix it is sometimes best.
    Joe

5. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

If I remember correctly, the later Nvidia drivers would install an "Experience" component even if you elected to not install that during a custom install.

I will have to turn on my Windows 10 install, which hasn't been run in months, to see what the current situation is.

6. kemical

Well it's drawing the closer... Nvidia's latest Whql release see's a new Geforce Experience included as well:

Ref:
    Nvidia Updates GeForce Experience - Accounts and Passwords now mandatory

Personally I don't use it at all so the changes, at this current time. do not affect me or any other users who do not run Geforce Experience. I just hope they don't go too far with all this or have they already?

7. William B

William B Active Member

This is the same as MS with pushing everything and yes they have already gone too far. I don't use GF experience either. It's all about funneling users into places where they don't have any idea where they are so that they can get a quota, and claim numbers. I say -- it's about high time AMD pushes NV and Intel back.

8. kemical

Your probably right but after the stink the above news raised I'm hoping they're having second thoughts...

9. William B

William B Active Member