Windows 10 Nvidia to force driver updates through Geforce Experience.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Nvidia may have just done AMD a huge favour. Starting in the near future Nvidia driver updates will be accessible first via the Geforce Experience application which many consider bloatware (myself included). You will be able to download direct from the site (Geforce.com) but only on a quarterly basis.

Starting with a pending December update to GeForce Experience, NVIDIA will be changing the way they will distribute their driver updates. Nvidia currently posts new drivers on a regular basis to their website while also simultaneously pushing them out via GeForce Experience. Come December starting pending that update, this format will changing. GeForce Experience will be the preferred “first access” distribution mechanism for NVIDIA’s frequent driver updates. That means Nvidia will shove GeForce Experience down your throat whether you like it or not. So in short - you’ll be able to install Game Ready drivers only via GeForce Experience — and even then only after you’ve registered a verified email address with Nvidia. The drivers you can grab on GeForce.com or via Windows Update will also be limited to quarterly releases for bug fixes, new features, security updates and so on. Aside from perhaps a hotfix here and there.
Reference

So the end user loses out again. Oh I'm sure it will be all very efficient and Nvidia will crow about it being a better service but one has to wonder why go to all the trouble? It's one way to lock Nvidia users into using the Geforce Experience app as well as the advertisements it carries.....

Hopefully I'll still be able to perform a custom clean install.
IF so then I'll just uncheck Geforce Experience along with the 3D stuff I generally uncheck when I install an nVidia driver.

mmm at the moment I'll take any hoop that gives me a solid driver... I'll cut the adds out later with regedit hex code if I have to.

Thanks for the link mate.

I don't like the auto update for drivers. A few years ago Nvidia released one that had a bug for the fan speed and I fried the video card. I don't mess with the drivers much unless there is a problem or security issue. If it ain't broke don't fix it is sometimes best.
Joe

Hopefully I'll still be able to perform a custom clean install.
IF so then I'll just uncheck Geforce Experience along with the 3D stuff I generally uncheck when I install an nVidia driver.

If I remember correctly, the later Nvidia drivers would install an "Experience" component even if you elected to not install that during a custom install.

I will have to turn on my Windows 10 install, which hasn't been run in months, to see what the current situation is.

Well it's drawing the closer... Nvidia's latest Whql release see's a new Geforce Experience included as well:

Nvidia today issues a new and sizable update to GeForce experience, what everyone dreaded slowly is now going into effect. To obtain certain features you'll need to register and login with your account name and password.

Not everything is tied towards the forced login, but if you like to use features like Ansel, ShadowPlay, Game Stream and driver updates you'll need to login with your personalized account or a Google account. The new update requires you to log in so that it can store your game preferences (and probably a lot of other undisclosed stuff if not now then later) onto the cloud.

You have the option to use your Google credentials, which will link your GeForce Experience account to your Google social presence, or you can choose to create a GeForce Experience account. Either way, you will have to log in before you can use the software. The account creation process actually happens the first time you launch the app after the update, and there doesn’t appear to be a way around it.

The update to GeForce Experience is easy to navigate and is definitely a visual improvement, but the fact that you have to log in to use the software might rub some people the wrong way. You can still get your drivers anonymously by downloading them directly from the Nvidia’s website, but you’ll miss out on all the performance optimizations and the game streaming features if you don’t use GeForce Experience.
Ref:
Nvidia Updates GeForce Experience - Accounts and Passwords now mandatory

Personally I don't use it at all so the changes, at this current time. do not affect me or any other users who do not run Geforce Experience. I just hope they don't go too far with all this or have they already?

This is the same as MS with pushing everything and yes they have already gone too far. I don't use GF experience either. It's all about funneling users into places where they don't have any idea where they are so that they can get a quota, and claim numbers. I say -- it's about high time AMD pushes NV and Intel back.

Your probably right but after the stink the above news raised I'm hoping they're having second thoughts...

Back