Windows 10 Obtrusive Volume Control Popup Windows 10

A volume control pop-up box keeps appearing top left of my Acer laptop screen where it overlays everything. Nothing I have tried will disable it. Worse still it then sticks the speaker volume slider on 100%. I have uninstalled any likely associated bloat apps. It disappears if I restart, but then reappears seemingly at random. Latest occurrence after a reboot, when all I had open were two tabs in Pale Moon, for gmail and ebay. I did not use any keyboard short cuts to adjust volume.

When I use Device Manager to check the audio driver it shows as 10.0.10586.0. from 29/10/2015, which I updated 18/12. The Update, Disable, Uninstall buttons are all active - the Roll Back button is not. Events shows only 18/12 and this as the configuration and start date.

When I open the volume control icon bottom left and click the Speaker icon, the dialogue box tells me the driver is from 22/07/2014, version 6.0.1.7300, and the none of the buttons to Update etc are active. However the events record also shows an installation date as 18/12 and clicking through this is recorded as the correct updated driver.

Anyone any ideas on how to get rid of this annoyance?

Confused of Beford

Last edited:
while i cannot offer a concrete answer … perhaps add'l info from you might help others.

pop-up volume control … in front of all windows … disappears upon restart … reappears at random.

when it does reappear, is it permanent? if not, for how many seconds? did this behavior start immediately after unpacking computer from box? did win-10 come pre-installed … or did you upgrade from previous platform? you might include screen-capture of the pop-up interface in your reply.

even though you only had pale-moon web-browser active … dozens of processes continue in the background … task-manager can assist you by isolating the gremlin. could be as simple as one of acer's oem interfaces … or might be windows-mobility-center (win-key + x) … or perhaps an app that automatically triggers during boot process … this can be configured by going to programs/administrator/component-svcs. you might also boot into safe-mode and see if you can duplicate the gremlin by initiating each process listed in the task-manager.

have you read the *.pdf manual that accompanied the computer? there's an acer community which might be able to assist … this includes simple faq's … more in-depth knowledge-base … as well as online forum whereas acer-owners can ask questions specific to their needs.

Service & Support | Acer Official Site
Discussion Forums - Acer Community

A volume control pop-up box keeps appearing top left of my Acer laptop screen where it overlays everything. Nothing I have tried will disable it. Worse still it then sticks the speaker volume slider on 100%. I have uninstalled any likely associated bloat apps. It disappears if I restart, but then reappears seemingly at random. Latest occurrence after a reboot, when all I had open were two tabs in Pale Moon, for gmail and ebay. I did not use any keyboard short cuts to adjust volume.

When I use Device Manager to check the audio driver it shows as 10.0.10586.0. from 29/10/2015, which I updated 18/12. The Update, Disable, Uninstall buttons are all active - the Roll Back button is not. Events shows only 18/12 and this as the configuration and start date.

When I open the volume control icon bottom left and click the Speaker icon, the dialogue box tells me the driver is from 22/07/2014, version 6.0.1.7300, and the none of the buttons to Update etc are active. However the events record also shows an installation date as 18/12 and clicking through this is recorded as the correct updated driver.

Anyone any ideas on how to get rid of this annoyance?

Confused of Beford
Did you ever resolve this? The same thing just suddenly appeared on my HP desktop.

Download Procexp Process Explorer click the black crosshairs icon and drag it over the pop up and release the mouse. This should show you which process it is. Then go to Options VirsusTotal.com > Check VirusTotal.com This should give you a good idea of if it's malicious

Back