Windows 7 Odd behaviour with Windows Explorer?

Tony Williams

I have a folder which contains about 100 files. In order to sort them for easy reference, I created a number of subfolders. I moved the files to their respective folders. However the original files stayed where they wer in the main folder and they also appeared in the subfolders. If I deleted the copy in the main folder it also deleted the copy in the subfolder. If I restored the file from the Waste bin, it restored the file in both places. I definately moved the files as distinct from copying them, but it looks as if the files in the subfolders are shortcuts or bookmarks. This hasn't happened with any other folders so has anyone any ideas why it's happening with this one?
Thanks
Tony
Windows 7

Which folder was the "main" one. Some of the folders in Windows 7 are "junctions". Whilst they are normally hidden, unhiding and using them can cause this to happen.

I had a guess that could be. The libraries are, in a sense, virtual folders. Anything you choose to do with them will be dupicated in the original folders.

Last edited:
I thought so but I do the same process with other folders and subfolders and it doesn't happen with them. There must be something about this particular folder that is different from the others but I don't know what. Really odd
Regards
Tony

Back
Top Bottom