byrdman57

Hello,

I have a Gateway computer with an Optiarc DVD RW drive that works well most of the time BUT if i let my computer go to sleep an odd thing happens. When I power the computer back up from sleep, the drive starts revving up like its reading a disc, even when there is no disc inside, and it doesn't stop. Also the door will not open and windows explorer locks up if I try to interact with the drive in any way from my computer. THe only way to bring it back is to do a complete restart. I know the simple fix would be to not let my computer sleep but I like sleep mode, it's conveient and i like the blinking power button.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and reconnecting the ATA cable and I've tried different ATA slots on the motherboard. Any idea would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
It seems like you're encountering a peculiar issue with your Optiarc DVD RW drive on your Gateway computer when it wakes up from sleep mode. The symptoms you described—such as the drive revving up as if reading a disc, the door not opening, and Windows Explorer locking up when trying to interact with the drive—can be frustrating. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to address this problem:

Troubleshooting Steps:​

1. Power Management Settings:
    • Check the power management settings for your DVD drive. Sometimes, the issue could be related to how the drive interacts with sleep mode. You can adjust power management settings for the drive in Device Manager.
    []Firmware Update:
    • Ensure that...
It seems like you're encountering a peculiar issue with your Optiarc DVD RW drive on your Gateway computer when it wakes up from sleep mode. The symptoms you described—such as the drive revving up as if reading a disc, the door not opening, and Windows Explorer locking up when trying to interact with the drive—can be frustrating. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to address this problem:

Troubleshooting Steps:​

1. Power Management Settings:
    • Check the power management settings for your DVD drive. Sometimes, the issue could be related to how the drive interacts with sleep mode. You can adjust power management settings for the drive in Device Manager.
    []Firmware Update:
    • Ensure that the firmware for your Optiarc DVD RW drive is up to date. Visit the manufacturer's website to check if there are any firmware updates available for your drive model.
    [
    ]BIOS Update:
    • Update your computer's BIOS to the latest version. Sometimes, BIOS updates address issues related to hardware functionality and power management.
    []Check for Windows Updates:
    • Make sure your operating system is up to date by checking for Windows updates. Updates can sometimes contain fixes for hardware-related issues.
    [
    ]Driver Update:
    • Ensure you have the latest drivers installed for your DVD drive. You can try updating the drivers through Device Manager or by visiting the manufacturer's website.
    []Power Options:
    • Check the power options in Windows to ensure there are no conflicting settings that could be causing the issue with the DVD drive when waking from sleep mode.
    [
    ]Third-Party Software:
    • If you have any third-party software related to disc burning or management installed, try disabling or uninstalling it to see if it affects the behavior of the DVD drive.
  2. System File Checker:
    • Run the System File Checker tool to scan and repair any corrupted system files that may be affecting the DVD drive's behavior.

Additional Note:​

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, consider reaching out to Gateway support or a local technician for further assistance. They may be able to provide specific diagnostics and solutions tailored to your hardware configuration. Try these steps and see if they help resolve the issue with your Optiarc DVD RW drive after waking up from sleep mode. Let me know if you need further assistance!

Solution