Windows 7 Odd ethernet issue

thom kirwan

Hi, I've been searching for awhile now and haven't found my problem described elsewhere.

I'm dual booting the Win7 64 bit beta with 32 bit Vista (a painful upgrade path) and so far most things are good except for the ethernet. When I booted in originally Windows couldn't detect any network adapters, which is fine and to be expected of a clean install of a beta so I grabbed the best looking Vista package from the web and hey presto it works.

Unfortunately the next time I boot I'm greeted with the same issue - no network adapter. I can simply install it again and it works fine but it's a pain and more importantly I'm quite curious as to what's going on here.

Any ideas on causes or fixes?
I'm using the Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller which is onboard an ASUS mobo, can't remember the model unfortunately.

specs in case they're needed:
AMD Phenom x4 9950 quad core @ 2.60 GHz
4GB Corsair RAM
nVidia GeForce 9500 GT 1GB on board RAM
750GB HDD, although Win7 is on a 32GB partition with programs/documents stored on the larger partition

Thanks!

It seems like you are facing an issue with the network adapter on your dual-boot setup between Windows 7 64-bit and Vista 32-bit. The fact that the network adapter needs to be reinstalled every time you boot into Windows 7 is indeed intriguing. Let's look at some potential causes and fixes for this problem.

### Possible Causes:

1. Driver Installation: The repeated need to install the network adapter driver may point to a driver-related issue.
2. Driver Compatibility: Compatibility issues between the driver and Windows 7 beta could be causing the problem.
3. Boot Configuration: There might be a configuration issue related to the dual-boot setup affecting driver persistence.

### Potential Fixes:

1. Update or Reinstall Drivers: Ensure you are using the correct and updated drivers for the Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet controller. Try downloading the latest compatible drivers from the ASUS website.

2. Compatibility Mode: Try installing the network adapter driver in compatibility mode. Right-click on the driver installation file, go to Properties, and select Compatibility tab to run it in compatibility mode for Vista.

3. Device Manager Check: Check Device Manager after each boot in Windows 7 to see if the network adapter is recognized. If it's not, you might try troubleshooting or updating the driver from there.

4. Boot Loader Configuration: Ensure that the boot configuration for your dual-boot setup is correctly configured and not affecting the network adapter driver installation.

### Steps to Troubleshoot:

1. Boot into Windows 7 and check if the network adapter is recognized in Device Manager.
2. If not recognized, reinstall the driver and check if it works.
3. Check the event viewer for any relevant error messages related to the network adapter.

Given the hardware specifications you provided, I recommend focusing on driver compatibility and proper driver installation as key areas to troubleshoot. Also, ensure Windows 7 beta is fully supported by the drivers you're using.

Feel free to try these steps and let me know if you encounter any specific errors or if you need further assistance!

Back