Windows XP Office will not support XP 64-bit

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft can't be bothered

Microsoft
has been explaining to the world why it can't be bothered supporting XP 64-bit in its forthcoming Office 2010.

When the list of supported software came out, sharp eyed hacks noticed that while XP was on the list the 64-bit version was not. Redmond has confirmed it is not interested in supporting Windows XP 64-bit or Windows Server 2003.

Microsoft said that for the best productivity and user experience, the benefits of 64-bit computing with Office 2010 is “best experienced by utilizing the newly introduced 64-bit version of Office 2010 with Windows 7 (64-bit) or Windows Vista (64-bit) version."

While Microsoft is releasing 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office, it seems that none of them will work on Windows XP 64-bit or Windows Server 2003.

Most people would have expected Redmond to kill off Windows XP 32-bit support for Office 2010, if it had the chance. Unfortunately Windows XP 32-bit is still the world's most popular operating system and axing that would be suicide.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Perhaps, when Office 2010 released, not too much users still use Windows XP 64-bit. In my opinion, most of them will use Windows 7 64-bit instead.

I can't stand the ribbon feature of 2007, so I am still going to be using 2003. But all people use Office for is to write papers and do power points. Can't you do all this in 2003? And not to mention there are free versions of Office programs that work much better, giving you the look and feel that you want.

Back
Top Bottom