Windows 7 On and off black screen after sleep

urgentquestions

Stats: Sony VAIO All in One PC 64

Well basically what happened was, I put the computer to sleep using the FN+F8 keys on the keyboard (Logitech MK320 Wireless). About maybe an hour or an hour an a half, I clicked the space bar, it woke up, and I put in the password. It quickly logged in, and as soon as it logged back in, the screen went completely black. It didn't shut off it just went completely black. After waiting for it to come back up, I soon realized there was something wrong. I tried everything I could, until I eventually manually shut it down (power button). I turned it back on, the VAIO logo popped up, and then it went black. Then a few seconds later a mouse popped up, and then you could HEAR the Microsoft power up music. But it still was black. Important to note, sound could be heard. I even did the fast clicking of F8, it took me to the menu where it asks to repair or boot in safe mode, but the screen went black before I could choose an option. Another try I made it, and booted it in Safe Mode, Normally, Repair Mode, but they ALL gave black screens. So it seems that main issue is, the screen will not remain, once you think everything is going fine, it shuts off to the black screen. Why won't it stay lit? << Also the screen (when it does stay lit for those few seconds) it has a dark tinge to it. What is the issue?

Hi! Do you have another monitor you can try? The newer TV's can be used for a monitor! Are all the cables secure to the monitor?
This says the OS is W8. Is this your make and model. ON my Toshiba FN+F8 turns the WI-Fi off and on. Have you used that before to put your PC to sleep?
Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Hi! OK I believe you!
Try unplugging the power. Hold the power button for 20 seconds. Then plug the power back in. Try booting into windows again! I'm not familiar with all-in-ones, but this should clear the memory and discharge the caps! Worth a try!

Last edited:
Will it delete everything?
This is a procedure that is preformed mostly for lap tops. No it won't delete any thing.
I don't know if it is the solution for your issue. Not having your PC in front of me, I can only suggest things I have tried before.
It sounds like you are in a loop and your PC keeps going into sleep mode or your monitor has bit the dust.
It will only clear the BIOS and might get you out of the boot loop!
It won't hurt or lose any thing!
Once you have unplugged all of your equipment, wait 30 seconds for any residual power to drain from your devices. You can help this process by pressing the power button of your PC. Although the PC is not plugged in, pressing the power button will help drain all left over power from the unit’s motherboard.

Last edited:
Would it make a difference if I were to unplug it from the computer instead of the wall outlet (I would have to move furniture to get to it)

You can unplug it from the computer. You just need to remove the power from your PC. When the power off, hold the power button on for 20 seconds. Then plug the power back on and see in your PC will break the loop and boot into windows!
Once you have unplugged all of your equipment, wait 30 seconds for any residual power to drain from your devices. You can help this process by pressing the power button of your PC. Although the PC is not plugged in, pressing the power button will help drain all left over power from the unit’s motherboard.

Last edited:
Well it was worth a try. What do you think about back to factory in my reply #11?
Clicking F10 might give you more options. I'm not familiar with Sony computers!

I would verify all your drivers are current as well as the BIOS before you do any kind of restore.

I mis read it. I thought he was able to get in after the reboot. This could likely be an issue with thr monitor. If you can make a bootable linux usb on someone elses computer and try to boot into that if it works then Windows is most likely corrupt. If you get the same issue then its a bad display

I mis read it. I thought he was able to get in after the reboot. This could likely be an issue with thr monitor. If you can make a bootable linux usb on someone elses computer and try to boot into that if it works then Windows is most likely corrupt. If you get the same issue then its a bad display
I agree !! Post #2 Thanks for helping. I like team work;) @Neemobeer :up:

Back
Top Bottom