Windows 7 Only 1 Core Showing

calicheese23

I have an HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop with a AMD Turion 64 x2 processor. I used to have Windows XP Home and then I installed Windows 7 beta. CPU-Z is showing only one core and thread. Device manager shows "ACPI x64 - based pc" under Computer. Under processors it shows "AMD Turion(tm) 64" and that's it.

I have tried checking msconfig and looking in advanced options. I can only select 1 processor after I check "Number of Processors". I have also tried checking "Detect HAL". I have gone into setup at post and see no "switch" for ACPI or anyting like that.

I have also tried installing the chipset drivers and BIOS from HP's support website. Still no luck.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Edit: Some Screens
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Did you do a dual book or did you install 7 over XP? I see CPU-Z shows it as a Richmond Turion processor, that was the last core revision completed for single core Turion processors. Can you advise on which Turion is in your system? If you remembered it before 7 install, that is.

I installed Windows 7 over Windows Vista. The only thing I know about the processor is that it's an AMD Turion 64 X2. I never ran CPU-Z on Windows Vista so I don't know what the revision was before Windows 7 :frown:

Edit: I downloaded my drivers from HP
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Edit:
Bios says "AMD Turion(tm) 64"
It gives a System Board ID of 30B5
Serial #: 2CE7190XJV

Found this info at HP
1.6 GHz AMD Turion â„¢ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-52

Last edited:
Interesting issue you have. I've been looking through the forums and found a similar thread with no replies. I am using Windows 7 on my desktop running an AMD Athlon X2 7750BE. Task manager shows 2 cores and can utilize both. My only advice now is to e-mail the Windows 7 team and see if they can help you. You do have a pretty unique problem. If you get a solution from Microsoft, I'd love to know it as well.

Honestly, the easiest fix would be a reinstall of Windows 7.
But that would require a data backup first of course.

It's likely a by-product of an upgrade glitch, so installing it clean would likely fix it :)

So my computer is suposed to have this
"1.6 GHz AMD Turion ™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-52"

The HP DV2315nr is my model.

CPU-Z shows the MK-36.

So that means HP shipped my computer with the wrong processor right?

I contacted HP and they said my processor is suposed to be the dual-core and I told them that is reading as a single core model they transfered me to a higher up (4 different people before I got there) and he said it is a "hardware failure" possibly and it will cost me $300 to have HP Fix it because I am no longer under waranty. I argued that they sent the wrong processor with my computer and he was not convinced.

I should have a dual-core. My manual, and the stickers on my laptop, all say AMD Dual Core TL-50.

I live 6hrs away from the Best Buy I bought it at and it looks like I'm gonna have to ship it down to my parents to take it in.

Am I wrong in assuming that HP sent me the wrong processor from the beginning?

Also I did buy this laptop in Aug 2007. I never noticed to check at the cores until I learned photshop can utilze the two cores.

Edit: I did a clean install of Windows 7 and no luck. Still reports the MK-36. Then I put in HP recovery CD to reinstall to factory settings (Windows Vista Home Premium) and still the same thing.

You have a good case. But I think the time elepsed will go against you. I would think it is worth the battle though.
Here is a page which clearly shows the CPU you have , MK-36, is single core.

It is a tough situation, but, browsing around, I can see that at some stage HP modified the socket to 754, which would accomodate your CPU or the new TL-52. I am only guessing, but it seems that you have a motherboard whic can handle the more advanced CPU but still has the single core.
Sorry M8, but good luck. Perhaps, worst case, you could do a deal with the seller for an update.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone ever does run into a multi-core detection issue like I did, here is the answer I found on the MS TechNet forums, second post from the bottom:

TechNet Link

Or read here:

Run 'msconfig' with admin rights. Click on the 'Boot' tab. Click on the 'Advanced Options\" tab. Make sure \"Number of processors\" is unchecked (counter-intuitive, I know) and make sure a check mark is by \"Detect HAL\". I suspect the single CPU/core ACPI HAL is loaded when the multiCPU/core HAL should be loaded. If that doesn't make a difference after reboot, try forcing the number by specifying the number processors in the same area. I try to use that as a last resort because sometimes it can more harm than good.

I haven't tried this yet, but I will tonight when I get home.

Good call,

In all my years, I never noticed the Advanced Options button.

This might make it a little easier, as I just clicked on OS boot information on the Boot tab and it detected 4 processors.

I think the OP's issue is a little diferent but, a friendly warning.
MSCONFIG is an editor of settings in other portions of the startup sequence., mainly found in Gpedit.
In the instance referred to, it is editing the optional switches that are used in your boot configuration file. The processor switch, and Vista /7 does this as an automated action.
There are no performance or any other gains by changing the default setting. There could be issues of varying consequences. Vista /7 will use fully all available processors once it enters kernel mode at the end of startup, no matter what you set for the number of processors in MSCONFIG.
If you want to confirm that you have dual processor cores on the CPU, on the system screen click "Device Manager" and expand the entry for "Processors" by clicking on the "+" sign. You should see two entries for the processor, along with the current operating frequency. If it shows 2, then you are running 2.
Here is an interesting link which is good reading for anyone in to customising.
http://lifehacker.com/5033518/debunking-common-windows-performance-tweaking-myths

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried this at home last night and it worked. For me, all I had to do was check the "Detect HAL" box. I couldn't manually enter the number of processors. I would venture to guess that happens because I only have 1 processor - it just happens to be a quad core. I went from having a single processor detected in CPU-z and Task Manager along with sluggish performance to having all the cores appear and much better performance.

For example: when using Firefox on a flash heavy site along with Automatic Updates and OpenOffice, my CPU usage was hitting 90-100%. Now, it barely hits 20%. Sites like Ebaums, with its mess of flash ads that normally choke my system, was running all the flash at real-time speeds. A very noticeable improvement.

I have posted the results in my original thread and the other thread I could find related to CPU detection. Not trying to spam, just want to try to increase the google results on this topic as there is virtually nothing out there. Sorry for the copypasta.

Back