Windows 7 Open .NFO file

sirloyne

Banned
I wanted to open an .nfo file in Windows 7 so I did what I did with XP... I right clicked on the file, went to "open with..." expecting to see a whole list of programs so I could pick Wordpad and, guess what... it's not there. Not only is Wordpad not there, but nothing is there. My only option is called "System Information" (by Microsoft Corporation) listed under "Recommended Programs" and of course that doesn't work. How in the world can I get this way, way, way, way, way, way, way better OS let me pick Wordpad under "open with..." like that other horrible OS, you know... the one that actually worked.

A .NFO file is a System information file (msinfo32.exe). If you want to open it with something else, you should have "Choose Default program" option and then click the small down arrow on the right to expand the possibilities.

A .NFO file is a System information file (msinfo32.exe). If you want to open it with something else, you should have "Choose Default program" option and then click the small down arrow on the right to expand the possibilities.

Perhaps I wasn't totally clear here, so that was my fault... when I pick "open with..." it brings you directly to the list of programs to choose from and there are none listed, so there are no possibilities.

Last edited:
If you were to go to the Default Programs dialog, either from the Control Panel, or the Start Menu, All Programs, Default Programs, and look at the "Associate file type with specific program", the .nfo extension should be listed. If it is, does it say "System Information File" next to it?

Do other file types show available options to associate?

Do you have any other utilities that might need to change the extension?

Do you have the msinfo32.exe utility in the C:\Windows\System32 directory?

Right-click on the .NFO file. Scroll down to "Properties" and click. At the top of the next pop-up window you'll see "Open With." Click on the "Change" button. Browse for your Notepad exe [Windows Directory]. Double-click on "Notepad. Click "OK." Click "Apply." Click "OK." Finished.

Right-click on the .NFO file. Scroll down to "Properties" and click. At the top of the next pop-up window you'll see "Open With." Click on the "Change" button. Browse for your Notepad exe [Windows Directory]. Double-click on "Notepad. Click "OK." Click "Apply." Click "OK." Finished.

This brought me to the exact same screen as right clicking and picking "open with...". Now you need to remember that the list of "Other Programs" to choose from is empty at this point... this is important. So I click "Browse" and go to C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe and click open. This brings me back to the original list of "Other Programs", but now, like magic, there are 13 different programs to choose from... and 2 of those are wordpad. How anyone can defend this steaming pile of rat droppings is beyond me.

This brought me to the exact same screen as right clicking and picking "open with...". Now you need to remember that the list of "Other Programs" to choose from is empty at this point... this is important. So I click "Browse" and go to C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe and click open. This brings me back to the original list of "Other Programs", but now, like magic, there are 13 different programs to choose from... and 2 of those are wordpad. How anyone can defend this steaming pile of rat droppings is beyond me.
So, can you now open the .NFO file or not?

The reason the list of "Other Programs" to choose from is empty at this point is because there are no current programs associated with the file extention .NFO.

So assign a program for that extention.

Why note use Notepad? C:\windows\notepad.exe. Check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." Finished.

Last edited:
So, can you now open the .NFO file or not?

The reason the list of "Other Programs" to choose from is empty at this point is because there are no current programs associated with the file extention .NFO.

So assign a program for that extention.

Why note use Notepad? C:\windows\notepad.exe. Check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." Finished.

Yes, I can open the .nfo file now.

What I don't get is if 7 is supposed to be better than XP, easier than XP, as they say "You PC simplified"... why would the "Other Programs" list be empty? If I click "open with..." and then "choose program" with XP it lists every friggin .exe on my computer, giving me plenty of "Other Programs" to choose from (to which I've always chosen Wordpad, I don't know why). How does 7 not offering anything make it better... or easier? Simpler I get... you can't do it, simple. How are you supposed to associate a program to the extension if you don't have any programs to choose from? Why would a bunch of other program magically appear on the list after I manually picked one that was already on the invisible list? What are people who are buying their first computer supposed to do here? It isn't like Windows 7 would help them in any way. Windows 7 is the most convoluted, a$$-backwards OS they could have cobbled together. It was designed to not let you do anything with your computer. It was built for people to go to Facebook, and that's it. And people tell me this is the greatest OS ever made, and if I don't like it I'm just a Luddite.

Hey, I hear Ford just made a car with octagon shaped wheels, it get 4 mpg and the radio only gets one station that only comes in half the time but it's the bluest blue I've ever seen so that makes it better and if you don't buy one and think it's the best thing ever you're just too stupid to figure out that this is progress you Luddite.

Last edited:
Back