Windows 8 Options missing in folder context menu under New

Kappo

I’m experiencing this odd and selective issue of options missing from folder context menu, under the choice New in most folders. Certain folders seems to have all the options as should. Down's a pic of a usual situation and the rare occasion of full menu, with Finnish OS.

win8_zps858711cc.png~original

A quick scoop around indicates that the few folders to have full options on drive C are Desktop and Program Data. Some seemingly random folders on other drives also provides the full menu, but most only the option for New folder. This has bugged me to a good degree lately and while doing so unnecessarily hindered my desktop work.

I'm running Windows 8 Pro x64 (non 8.1) with Start8 (v1.16).

If you go to the registry key below, what do you show in the right pane for the Classes entry. There should be an entry for each of the items, such as .txt .bmp .jnt .lnk .rtf .zip Folder

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable\PostSetup\ShellNew

Last edited:
From what I can tell Entries for that menu are set by a ShellNew entry in the extensions key. For instance, if you look at
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp
There should be a ShellNew entry like the one below. If you remove the entry, the .bmp option will disappear from the context menu. To add it, you create an entry called ShellNew and fill in the necessary items.

If you already show a ShellNew, which you probably do, I can only think of two things that might help. The first is something that actually shows the menu is corrupted or turned off. I will look for an entry in the gpedit.msc panel to see if I can find one.

Another thing you might try is to run the SFC /scannow command, from and Administrative command window, to see if one of your system files has been corrupted. Since this is Windows 8, running the command might be a problem because of a recent update. If the scan takes a very long time to complete (30 minutes) and give you a final message, you may need to do another procedure to repair your install.

Let us know what happens or if you find anything.

Attachments

• bitmapShellnew.JPG
    bitmapShellnew.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 368
Back