Windows 7 OS (\:) ?

Ron6a

Hi I have been running Windows 7. Tried Windows 10 and reverted back to Win7. I have installed Itunes and it has found 2 of everything! When I look at the location of these files, it seems to point to them being in OS (\:) and also in OS (C). I have no idea what OS (\:) is but it seems to be exactly the same as OS (C), right down to the number of files and folders in it.
Don't know if it is anything to do with the Windows 10 that I tried. I only reverted back to Win7 because Win 10 would not recognise my Chromcast Audio device.
Tanks for any help.

The smily face is showing where it should show : and ) without spaces

Welcome to the Forum! :)

Sorry to hear of your problem with W10->W7 reversion. Reversion problems are quite common. Just to facilitate us helping you, can you tell us the Make/Model of your PC or laptop?

Next, did you attempt to do the W10->W7 reversion using the Microsoft tool to do so? Or did you completely reinstall W7 on your hard drive after erasing W10? This is a very important question. If you attempted to do the reversion to your original W7 and it's been more than 31 days since you performed the W10 upgrade on that computer, you could have a failed reversion attempt. Microsoft only allows you to run the reversion to your original Windows version within that time period. If this is the case, then I have some suggestions that will fix it.

Also, you don't mention whether the Win7 you reverted to is working in all other aspects; i.e.: able to browse websites on the Internet, E-mail, type and read documents (Word, PDF, Excel, etc.); use photo editing software, gaming, etc. I'm guessing from your post that the iTunes is the only thing that is not working, correct? Yes or No here, please.

From your description of the file properties, it sounds like something did get scrambled in your Windows. A screenshot would be most helpful, as text only is subject to interpretation and iffy at best. A proper path to your iTunes folder or files would look like this (taken from my W10 system):
C:\Users\bigbe\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours

Notice that the Path should start with your Windows login account or user name under the C:\Users folder. In my case, my full user name is: "bigbearjedi", but the name on my Windows login screen is actually "Marc Lastname". W10 truncates the E-mail address of my Microsoft Account (in this case it's "[email protected]"). Therefore, W10 shows the path C:\Users\bigbe...\Rumours, where C:\Users\bigbe takes the "bigbe" first 5 letters of my Microsoft account E-mail address and truncates it.

This can be tricky, as if your Windows login or username is 5 characters or less in W7/W8x, such as C:\Users\Bob, for instance, there is no truncation of the username. In W10, the truncation occurs whether or not you have a Local Login or a Microsoft Login for W10. The distinction here, in case you are not aware, is that one needs to have a valid E-mail address associated to their Microsoft account or have a valid Microsoft native E-mail or LiveID account, such as a Hotmail.com or Outlook.com E-mail address. If one is therefore doing this, their intention is to get access to all the Apps in the Microsoft App Store and can purchase or download apps from the MS App Store as well as access all other Microsoft resources.

In Win7, there is no default User name called: "OS" or "C:\OS", unless you physically entered "OS" or "C:\OS" when you first setup your computer out of the box, or went to USER ACCOUNTS in Control Panel and added that username. From your description, I'm going to guess that your name isn't "OS" or "C:\OS", and that means that your W7 is corrupted, either do to the reversion process being incorrectly applied, or if you attempted the reversion process outside of the 31 day limit imposed by Microsoft as described above.

This may be more information than you wanted; but I find it helps to explain what I see as the problem, so you can understand what's happening or has happened to your computer.

Until I get more information back from you on my questions, I would recommend you backup ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA ON THAT COMPUTER TO EXTERNAL MEDIA FIRST, and then perform a Windows Reset using factory recovery media (Discs or USB), or from built-in partition on the hard drive. This will correct your iTunes problem (as well as any other problems with the post W7 reversion windows) that might have occurred. Subsequent to the Windows reset, you will need to download/reinstall any and all programs that you added to your computer after your first purchased it from the Internet or Disc/USB as they will be completely erased by the Reset process. Once your W7 has been reset and everything is working, especially the Internet, you can then restore or copy back your data from the external media you backed it up to as required above. At this point, you can reinstall your iTunes on W7 and all should work.

Pay particular attention to the Username now showing in your Path to the Music folder. Again, if your userame is "Bob", this should now be "C:\Users\Bob\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\Artist Name\Songname".

Let us know how it goes.

Best of luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi BBJ! Don't want to confuse the op or Hi-Jack his thread! I have sort of the same thing on W10. It shows my seagate external drive twice.
I don't know what that's all about! I'm wondering if Ron is seeing some thing like this on his C drive!
Capture48.JPG

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 266
From the OP the OS is most likely the drive label.
To illustrate I renamed my C drive OS.
os.png

Holdum, it shows up twice because you have "Show All Folders" enabled in Explore. Making any folder structures show up twice because your drive will always show up under "This PC" as you can see from the above image I have "This PC" expanded. If I enabled "Show All Folders" any external type storage or folders will show up twice like my F drive. You can change this behavior in explorer by clicking the View tab > Navigation pane and uncheck "Show all folders"
os2.png

I never noticed this till after patch Tuesday! It really doesn't bother me. I was just wondering why this shows twice!
I'm sure it didn't before Tuesday!;):(

Welcome to the Forum! :)

Sorry to hear of your problem with W10->W7 reversion. Reversion problems are quite common. Just to facilitate us helping you, can you tell us the Make/Model of your PC or laptop?

Next, did you attempt to do the W10->W7 reversion using the Microsoft tool to do so? Or did you completely reinstall W7 on your hard drive after erasing W10? This is a very important question. If you attempted to do the reversion to your original W7 and it's been more than 31 days since you performed the W10 upgrade on that computer, you could have a failed reversion attempt. Microsoft only allows you to run the reversion to your original Windows version within that time period. If this is the case, then I have some suggestions that will fix it.

Also, you don't mention whether the Win7 you reverted to is working in all other aspects; i.e.: able to browse websites on the Internet, E-mail, type and read documents (Word, PDF, Excel, etc.); use photo editing software, gaming, etc. I'm guessing from your post that the iTunes is the only thing that is not working, correct? Yes or No here, please.

From your description of the file properties, it sounds like something did get scrambled in your Windows. A screenshot would be most helpful, as text only is subject to interpretation and iffy at best. A proper path to your iTunes folder or files would look like this (taken from my W10 system):
C:\Users\bigbe\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours

Notice that the Path should start with your Windows login account or user name under the C:\Users folder. In my case, my full user name is: "bigbearjedi", but the name on my Windows login screen is actually "Marc Lastname". W10 truncates the E-mail address of my Microsoft Account (in this case it's "[email protected]"). Therefore, W10 shows the path C:\Users\bigbe...\Rumours, where C:\Users\bigbe takes the "bigbe" first 5 letters of my Microsoft account E-mail address and truncates it.

This can be tricky, as if your Windows login or username is 5 characters or less in W7/W8x, such as C:\Users\Bob, for instance, there is no truncation of the username. In W10, the truncation occurs whether or not you have a Local Login or a Microsoft Login for W10. The distinction here, in case you are not aware, is that one needs to have a valid E-mail address associated to their Microsoft account or have a valid Microsoft native E-mail or LiveID account, such as a Hotmail.com or Outlook.com E-mail address. If one is therefore doing this, their intention is to get access to all the Apps in the Microsoft App Store and can purchase or download apps from the MS App Store as well as access all other Microsoft resources.

In Win7, there is no default User name called: "OS" or "C:\OS", unless you physically entered "OS" or "C:\OS" when you first setup your computer out of the box, or went to USER ACCOUNTS in Control Panel and added that username. From your description, I'm going to guess that your name isn't "OS" or "C:\OS", and that means that your W7 is corrupted, either do to the reversion process being incorrectly applied, or if you attempted the reversion process outside of the 31 day limit imposed by Microsoft as described above.

This may be more information than you wanted; but I find it helps to explain what I see as the problem, so you can understand what's happening or has happened to your computer.

Until I get more information back from you on my questions, I would recommend you backup ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA ON THAT COMPUTER TO EXTERNAL MEDIA FIRST, and then perform a Windows Reset using factory recovery media (Discs or USB), or from built-in partition on the hard drive. This will correct your iTunes problem (as well as any other problems with the post W7 reversion windows) that might have occurred. Subsequent to the Windows reset, you will need to download/reinstall any and all programs that you added to your computer after your first purchased it from the Internet or Disc/USB as they will be completely erased by the Reset process. Once your W7 has been reset and everything is working, especially the Internet, you can then restore or copy back your data from the external media you backed it up to as required above. At this point, you can reinstall your iTunes on W7 and all should work.

Pay particular attention to the Username now showing in your Path to the Music folder. Again, if your userame is "Bob", this should now be "C:\Users\Bob\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\Artist Name\Songname".

Let us know how it goes.

Best of luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
Yea @Neemobeer ! I found the answer here. External drives don't show up twice any more!
Breaking my arm, patting myself on the back!:rofl:
Drives in Navigation Pane - Add or Remove in Windows 10
Thought I would at least be Well- Known Member by now :rofl:

>>>Hi Holdum! Interesting..Thanks for posting that fix. Not sure what determines your Membership status on this forum, but I think it's based on your join date; I joined in 2013 before either you or Neemobeer; and I'm considered a Senior Member (well Senior is appropriate based on my Age! ;-p). But, Neemo has more posts than I do, so it doesn't seemed to be based on # of posted responses or something. Guess we'd have to ask Mike Fara on that one. If he reads this on his rounds, maybe he'll chime in and link us to the right information on how that works.<<<

@Neemobeer: It seems to me that File Explorer (previously Windows Explorer) had these "persistence" kind of issues in the Navigation Pane with networking locations (P2P, Server-based drives, NETBIOS locations, UNC drive locations, etc.) and you're right in Win8x and earlier in believe that by disabling your Show Folder option, it would remove duplicate drive locations of both local drives and network drives. However, things do appear to have changed with W10 File Explorer, as mentioned by Holdum in his link to the Registry fix. And on the OP's problem of the drive label being renamed, it doesn't sound like he did it. I've seen that particular Drive Label around for years going way back to W98 or so. That's often used by the Windows reinstallation or Windows reset programs to rename the C: boot drive where Windows resides. This label will show up in the Windows DISK MANAGEMENT utility (DISKMGMT.MSC) or applet. That's quite common after a Windows reinstallation or reset as I mention; and you're right it certainly can be changed from a variety of locations in Windows including File Explorer, Windows Explorer, DISKMGMT.MSC, and well as with various Linux tools such as GPARTED CONTROL. My feeling here, is that the OP is very unlikely to have renamed his C: drive to OS/ C: or some form of that unless he was instructed to do so by someone not really knowing what they were doing. And, since I am aware of this drive label being used by Windows to rename the boot drive upon reinstallation or reset, that's why I mentioned it to him and the reason behind it. I seriously doubt OP did this on his own. We haven't heard back from OP yet, but if we do, he may be able to clear up what he did with his W10->W7 reversion, but probably not. I'm pretty sure that his drive label was put there by either a reversion attempt by the W10 reversion tool or a Windows reset or manual reinstall. Once he replies back, we'll have a better idea.

Cheers!
<<<BBJ>>>

Back