Windows 7 out of memeory error ??

3doz

I am getting the error message " out of memory" whist in some programs. the explorer now and then shuts down and re starts . all sorts of funny things
I have 6gb ram
the hard drive makes a running noise far to long on stratup yet the start up files are minimul

Hi,
have you tried the usual like checking for malware etc? Also when did your problems start? If it was after installing something like an update then removing it might help?
Same with hardware if you fitted something new then see if removing it helps any..
You could try system restore or by pressing F8 when booting, enter the advanced boot menu and click 'last good known configuration'.
If the above fails you might need to start checking hardware:
See if you can run a checkdisk by right-clicking on Computer choosing properties, Tools and then Check now, Make sure you tick all the boxes. If the checkdisk fails to run then you might be looking at a new HDD.
You can check your memory by using this app:
Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic
Test one stick at a time so you know which ones are faulty (if any) and do make sure you have your timings correct.

Hi,
have you tried the usual like checking for malware etc? Also when did your problems start? If it was after installing something like an update then removing it might help?
Same with hardware if you fitted something new then see if removing it helps any..
You could try system restore or by pressing F8 when booting, enter the advanced boot menu and click 'last good known configuration'.
If the above fails you might need to start checking hardware:
See if you can run a checkdisk by right-clicking on Computer choosing properties, Tools and then Check now, Make sure you tick all the boxes. If the checkdisk fails to run then you might be looking at a new HDD.
You can check your memory by using this app:
Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic
Test one stick at a time so you know which ones are faulty (if any) and do make sure you have your timings correct.

• please explain timingcorrect?
    with 6 g what would you suggest to have in the virtual settings
    I have tried most other was and no joy

please explain timingcorrect?

Your RAM will have settings (determined by the manufacturer) which tells the RAM how quickly to ask for info, how long to keep the info and then when to pass the info on. These are known as SPD settings and are usually contained in a little chip on the side of the memory. You'll see these settings usually expressed as this 5,5,5,15 or 7,7,7,18 depending on the brand and version of RAM. Now usually your bios will pick these settings up right away but sometimes it's worth checking just to see that everything is set ok and the voltage is correct too.
The settings for your RAM will either be on the packaging, written on the side of the stick or available on the manufacturers web site. Just go into your system bios and make sure everything is set ok.
As for virtual RAM, I think with windows 7 it's 1.5xRAM but I normally just set it to what Windows suggests...

Back