Windows 7 Ownewrship of folders

neilkcpa

I have been told that I have to establish ownership of folders to remove the read only attributes on the folder.

Does anybody know how to establis ownership of the folders.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have been told that I have to establish ownership of folders to remove the read only attributes on the folder.

Does anybody know how to establis ownership of the folders.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sure, but taking ownership of a file or folder will not always prove to be the solution you are looking for and in fact can result in causing more problems then it will ever resolve so only use the following procedure if you are sure that it is something you absolutely want to do.
right click on the folder and choose properties, then select the security tab at the top, next click the advanced button near the bottom on the right side of the dialog box, now you will see the tab that says owner. You can click the edit button and then you have the opportunity to choose from the list or click the button that says "Other users or groups" that will result in another dialog box where you need to choose the advanced button and then on the next dialog box choose the find now button then you will be able to choose from the list of users and groups. And then if the folder contains multiple subfolder and or files you will need to cascade the change down by choosing the "replace owner on subcontainers and objects. Hope this helps, but again I would caution you that it is not often the solution to many problems and will likely cause some unintended consequences.

Last edited:
There is a much easier way. It is well published on many posts on this site. Download and unzip the attached file. Run the "Take Ownership" .reg file. Now. When you righ click any file or folder, you will find you have an option to "take Ownership" Use it with caution. You are not supposed to be taking ownership of system folders etc.!!

read only folders & taking ownership

I installed the takeownership file and while I can now get to the take ownership spot and something happens it still wont let me take the read only attribute off of the folder

FOLDERS don't have a read-only attribute in Windows. The read-only attribute is only for files within the folder. The read-only check-box for folder properties is a bad design default. Windows file systems actually use the read-only attribute for a folder to make it, supposedly to make it fully customisable, but the checkbox in a folder's properties has nothing to do with that. In fact, you cannot stop a folder's contents from being changed using the read-only attribute.

Unfortunately, some software does not interpret this correctly. I use Ashampoo, for example, which sees my default save folder as locked with the read only attributte

As I said in my original post "taking ownership of a file or folder will not always prove to be the solution you are looking for " What exactly is the problem you are trying to overcome?

Back