Partition Manager 10 Personal

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Software' started by reghakr, Sep 30, 2009.

1. tblount

tblount New Member

Microsoft must think it's a good idea since their System Image uses a PARTITION on the same drive. Doesn't that lead users to think they are safely backed up?

I know some of my reasons to avoid using partitions were less than strong.. but when you add them all up you can't ignore the conclusion that a second hard drive is a far superior alternative to making partitions. Most of your arguments were basically "users would be foolish....." I just don't find that to be a solid selling point.

2. tblount

tblount New Member

Haven't you noticed that more than one out of every 10 questions posted here are about gettting access to a partition they have lost?

I want to just give them all the same advice I would give to someone who says to me... every time I smoke I cough.

Well stop smoking!

3. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Sorry,, but I have to disagree......I always partition my hard drive into at least two separate partitions,

I install my 3rd party apps on the D: drive so Windows doesn't have to look through the complete partition on startup (unless there is a program that runs at startup on the D: drive.

I keep a second drive for all my important Documents=, Music, Video, and backups

Other partitions double you wasted space, I don't quite understand that one.

I only use the operating system. I do not use any Microsoft apps besides WMP on occasion.

I prefer freeware and open source software as it's constantly updated and improved.

Does Microsoft dothid...no, they just issue Service Packs for the entire OS.

4. tblount

tblount New Member

I could sell you some ide drives real cheap so you wouldn't have to do that. I have a dozen that I can't use them on this machine.

Unless I'm making some modifications that require reboot I probably don't reboot my machine more than twice a week. Anyway, I thought that the prefetch in Windows 7 was designed to keep track of programs so windows doesn't have to look everywhere?

After 9+ years of writing a newsletter and being asked a multitude of questions eveyday.... I"ve learned that it saves a WHOLE LOT OF TIME if you just tell someone how to do something with a program or utility that they already have that came with Windows. So I try to learn how to do things with the least amout of 3rd party software as possible.

It would be good if you could list the top 10 programs you find useful. I listed mine in one of my blogs.

5. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

My top ten programs are

Universal Extractor
    Firefox
    Powerdesk (lovethe find files feature
    Revouninstaller
    KMPlayer
    Surf (an open source file manager
    VideoCacheview
    Clipfinder HD
    RadioGet
    CCleaner
    Anvir task Manager.
    Regseeker
    Registry Search & Replace
    Sinfo (shows hidden windows and can capyure ANYTHING on any page including web browsers

6. gavin19

gavin19 New Member

Just to throw my 2 cents in -

Foxit PDF reader
    HD scrubber
    CCleaner
    Songbird
    uTorrent
    7-zip
    Google Desktop
    K-Lite codec pack w/ MPC
    Dropbox
    Notepad++

#26 gavin19, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  7. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Foxit is another one I use.

I loathe Adobe products ....riddled with security holes and bugs.. It's always in my security news reports.

One editor said "Stop using it completely"

8. Davison

Davison New Member

Third party solutions

The third party solutions are available for windows and they are reliable also. A software like Stellar phoenix Windows Data Recovery Software is there which serves the purpose .

9. son2012

son2012 New Member

paragon is the king, I have everything they ever done.Hmm exept drive backup, which I don`t need.
    Not much difference between version 9 and 10 other than gui and some new buttons to play with. Both works with 7
    But paragon easy cd-dvd recorder is not comp with 7 yet.
    my top 5
    1.Everything from paragon
    2.Vmware
    3.Jetaudio
    4.All browsers exept the smelly ie
    5.Least but not last, best thing ever happened to me windows 7 (if it didn`t happened road was leading to mac)

#29 son2012, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009