Windows 7 Paying a price to use free software: the dark side of Comodo products

reghakr

Essential Member
From a good friend, I'd highly take his suggestions:

Comodo is a popular name in the software business. Comodo provides multiple free, and excellent, products for home users including, but not limited to, the award winning Comodo Firewall (now bundled with Comodo Internet Security). Comodo has also recently become a big name in multiple front-page controversies including the issuance of its SSL security certificates to known malware distributors/scam websites and a row with Softpedia over the inclusion of a third party toolbar in their software. For those that don't know I will do a quick recap for you:
  • Comodo has been caught selling its popular SSL certificate to malware distributors/scan websites. Now in Comodo's defense, whenever a malware distributor/scan website which has Comodo's certificate is brought to their attention, they remove it; furthermore the purpose of the SSL certificate, technically, is not to verify the contents of the website but rather to verify how secure it is to buy from (the irony). However the question of why Comodo is repeatedly selling the certificates to known malware distributors/scam websites (there have been cases where a website with the same exact layout, interface, and "product" except different name has been issued a certificate even though their earlier one was revoked) is still a significant one and still an on going issue.
  • Softpedia, once upon a time, labeled Comodo Internet Security as "malware" because CIS included SafeSurf, an optional third party toolbar considered to be malware by Softpedia. Of course Comodo did not like that, so they tried to get Softpedia to remove the label. Softpedia, standing by their high standards, refused. So in the end the result was (is) Comodo Internet Security was (is) removed from Softpedia's download database.
More...........Paying a price to use free software: the dark side of Comodo products | Keeping Them Honest | dotTech [.org]

I've been thinking about this for a while I first noticed it on the Avast discussion group a while ago. Today I began switching to PC Tools Firewall Plus (free) it does work on 64 bit. It's takes a while to get the networking kinks worked out. Right now I've got it installed on Vista Ultimate 64 bit, Windows 7 RC (virtual pc), on this PC Windows 7 RC Ultimate 64 bit and on Windows XP all networked. 64 bit firewalls aren't that plentiful and Matousec Results and comments - www.matousec.com rates it highly. The PC does have install Google toolbar enabled by default.
Joe

Hello Joe,

That's good to know.

My PC Tools Internet Suite and Registry Mechanic did not work on the 64-bit version.

BTW, I used to work for PC Tools and I love the Firewall Plus for blocking files and applications that want to phone home.

The one thing I needed to do to the networks is to go on the profiles and select advanced tab and check ICMPv6 to allow.I got disgusted with Comodo when they bundled everything and slipped in the ask tool bar. I looked at Matousec and was surprised with how far PC Tools had moved up the list.
Joe

Could anybody name off a x64 firewall (ie example: Comodo) besides Windows firewall. it is unsafe to run a 32 bit firewall on an x64 machine. So you guys are not using Comodo because they ask in the beginning of the install to install a toolbar? which you have an option to uncheck, or Second, is Comodo no more safe because of this certificate thing going on? And thats why your not using it anymore?

PC Tools Firewall Plusâ„¢ 6 for Windows

PC Tools Firewall Plus is a powerful free personal firewall for Windows® that protects your computer by preventing unauthorized users from gaining access to your computer through the Internet or a network. By monitoring applications that connect to the network Firewall Plus can stop Trojans, backdoors, keyloggers and other malware from damaging your computer and stealing your private information.

PC Tools Firewall Plus is advanced technology designed especially for people, not just experts. Powerful prevention against attacks and known exploits is activated by default while experienced users can optionally create their own advanced packet filtering rules, including IPv6 support, to customize the network defenses. All you need to do is install it for immediate and automatic ongoing protection.

That's how PC Tools Firewall Plus provides world-leading protection, backed by regular Smart Updates, real-time protection and comprehensive network shielding to ensure your PC remains safe and hacker free. PC Tools products are trusted and used by millions of people every day to protect their home and business computers against online threats.
We recommend you use PC Tools Firewall Plus in combination with Link Removed due to 404 Error for comprehensive system protection against spyware, adware and other threats.

Designed for Windows 7 (32/64bit), Vista (32/64bit) and XP (32bit)

PC Tools Firewall Plus - Free Firewall Download

PC Tools Firewall Plus is a powerful free personal firewall for Windows® that protects your computer by preventing unauthorized users from gaining access to your computer through the Internet or a network. By monitoring applications that connect to the network Firewall Plus can stop Trojans, backdoors, keyloggers and other malware from damaging your computer and stealing your private information.

PC Tools Firewall Plus is advanced technology designed especially for people, not just experts. Powerful prevention against attacks and known exploits is activated by default while experienced users can optionally create their own advanced packet filtering rules, including IPv6 support, to customize the network defenses. All you need to do is install it for immediate and automatic ongoing protection.

That's how PC Tools Firewall Plus provides world-leading protection, backed by regular Smart Updates, real-time protection and comprehensive network shielding to ensure your PC remains safe and hacker free. PC Tools products are trusted and used by millions of people every day to protect their home and business computers against online threats.
We recommend you use PC Tools Firewall Plus in combination with Spyware Doctor for comprehensive system protection against spyware, adware and other threats.

Designed for Windows 7 (32/64bit), Vista (32/64bit) and XP (32bit)

PC Tools Firewall Plus - Free Firewall Download

Norton is designed too for 32/64 but is not x64.

Before I go & try PC Tools Firewall, when you install this firewall does it install to [on an x64 platform] C:\Program Files Or C:\Program Files (x86) ?

I don't mean to be rude, but I think Norton is crap and bloatware also.

The uninstaller does such a poor job that you need to download and run the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of all the files and registry entries.

I'm not sure what directory the 64-bit version is placed because I'm running the 32-bit edition

The uninstaller does such a poor job that you need to download and run the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of all the files and registry entries.

I'm not sure what directory the 64-bit version is placed because I'm running the 32-bit edition

I was using an example that Norton is designed for 32/64, but is not a true x64 application.

Using Comodo on my x64 Platform as it, itself is a True x64 application itself. In terms Comodo is much safer than a x86 Firewall installed on an x64 Platform, on the other hand if someone might be able to confirm this would be greatly appreciated, if PC Tools is installed in the x86 or x64 Program Files.

Edit:
For x64 Platforms users, PC Tools is a x86 Application, itself is not a true x64 Firewall.
I tested just to see where PC Tools would ask to install at.
C:\Program Files (x86)\PC Tools Firewall Plus

Last edited:
What difference does it make if the firewall 32 bit or 64 bit if it's built to run on Windows 7 32 and 64 bit? Apparently Comodo is selling certificates that malware makers are buying they are also trying to bully and stifle any criticism. Matousec rates the PC Tools higher than Comodo's.
Joe

I agree Norton is rubish . I had there Norton 360 what a pile of doo doo ! Could not get rid of viruses without help . User intervention should not be required . Bloatware hogging system resources . Never again Norton for me !

Back