Windows 7 PC only booting in safe mode after pulling plug

arasnus

Hi,

yesterday I accidentally pulled the plug of my PC without shutting it down properly. Today it didn't boot at all. Shortly before it would usually display the user selection the PC just completely stops sending visual signals to my screen. If I proceed to shut it down by holding the power button or by pulling the plug again I will be able to select safe mode during the next boot. Currently I'm using that mode, the PC booted successfully but it won't boot in regular mode.

Additional info:
- I have moved my (desktop) PC regularily the past few weeks, so it might as well be a hardware error, maybe not even related to pulling the plug yesterday. I just don't know how I can determine wether thats the case and what parts are broken.
- I can't be certain that it isn't just the graphics card thats broken. As I said the screen just stops receiving signals at some point of the booting process. Yet it appears that (after waiting for some time), if I just shortly press the power button, that a regular shutdown is performed (after some delay it shuts down and it won't offer me to use safe mode during the next booting). That might indicate that the booting process and the followed shutdown process were successful.
- After I tried booting a few times a windows automatic repair thing popped. It said it couldn't find any errors and afterwards I was offered an option to check the hardware. Unfortunately the error just reoccured before the hardware check could start (maybe even caused by it).

I would appreciate any advice regarding the problem or what steps I should perfom to determine it.

Thanks in advance. Please excuse my English, I'm from Germany.

Best regards

Hi,
follow these steps:
Check System Configuration to make sure your computer is not configured to startup in Safe Mode. To do so, try these steps:

1. Click on Run.

2. Type msconfig. (This will bring up the System Configuration window.)

3. Go to the Boot tab.

4. If selected, remove the tic from Safe boot.

5. Click Apply and then OK.

6. Restart your computer.

Do you run Norton AV?

Hi,

sorry for my slow reply. Maybe I wasn't clear. It doesn't automatically use safe mode. I'm only offered to start in that mode during the booting process. I was mentioning it because the PC will only successfully boot in that mode. However I had a look at that setting anyway - it was not ticked.

Best regards

Hi,

sorry for my slow reply. Maybe I wasn't clear. It doesn't automatically use safe mode. I'm only offered to start in that mode during the booting process. I was mentioning it because the PC will only successfully boot in that mode. However I had a look at that setting anyway - it was not ticked.

Best regards
Ah ok thanks for the update.
If the machine has been moved around a lot I would check that all cables are connected properly and that nothing has become loose inside the machine. Check the graphics card is still seated correctly and that connections are sound.

You might have had some corruption set in and I'd check your system files are in reasonable order by running the SFC.
Open an admin command prompt and type
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

As stated above check your hard drive by running a chkdsk:
The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7, 8, or 10

System restore might be an option?

Back
Top Bottom