Windows 7 PC won't shutdown after Win7 install

gregrocker

After install of Win7 to an old Gateway 700LTD, it won't shut down and just restarts when clicking Shut Down, Sleep, Hibernate or using the Power Button to shut down. I have to do a hard shutdown at the point where it restarts.

This is an older machine which could not boot from disk, so I pulled out HD and used another PC to install Win7, but drivers were easily adjusted when I reinstalled HD and it is working well, even the ancient 64mb NVIDIA MX400 video card took it's XP driver.

All BIOS settings are returned to default, I tried troubleshooting various fixes got from Google, then decided to determine if it is a Win7 issue by installing another copy of Win7 on a second test partition, which also won't shutdown. Don't you think this eliminates the OS settings as the culprit?

If it isn't the OS and BIOS is set to defaults, then I am thinking Power Supply or CMOS battery failure. Any other ideas?

After install of Win7 to an old Gateway 700LTD, it won't shut down and just restarts when clicking Shut Down, Sleep, Hibernate or using the Power Button to shut down. I have to do a hard shutdown at the point where it restarts.

This is an older machine which could not boot from disk, so I pulled out HD and used another PC to install Win7, but drivers were easily adjusted when I reinstalled HD and it is working well, even the ancient 64mb NVIDIA MX400 video card took it's XP driver.

All BIOS settings are returned to default, I tried troubleshooting various fixes got from Google, then decided to determine if it is a Win7 issue by installing another copy of Win7 on a second test partition, which also won't shutdown. Don't you think this eliminates the OS settings as the culprit?

If it isn't the OS and BIOS is set to defaults, then I am thinking Power Supply or CMOS battery failure. Any other ideas?

Could it be some software you may have installed ?

Could it be software problem ? There is an articule on this here : Why can't Windows shut down promptly? | Larry Magid at Large - CNET News

Last edited:

Very facinating experimental creation of an electronic chimera - this Win7 is conceived in another system (Diff MoBo, diff processor, Diff Videocard, Sound Card etc) and transplanted to a second system with different Hardware Configuration. WOW! How many reboots the other system had before the HDD was removed from there and installed in the "old Gateway 700LTD"? Several or was it removed immediately after the first boot to Windows desktop. How does the Device Manager on the current Gateway 700LTD look now?
Can you post the Captured image (s) of the Device Manager to see what Win 7 has done with the devices in its new abode?
After that I might have some idea.

I have the same problem when I press Shutdown in the Start Menu it restarts the system. How do you fix this?
btw im using windows 7 build 7077

I have the same problem when I press Shutdown in the Start Menu it restarts the system. How do you fix this?
btw im using windows 7 build 7077

Hi Backslash
Unless you have the same hardware as the other poster and made the System the very unusual way the other poster has created, anything discussed pertaing to that issue may not be relevant to your situation. Please provide the basic hardware information about your system and how did the problem begin [such as soon after the Windows Installation or after any other softawre or hardware changes with details about those changes leading up to the symptom.]. You may use the Computer Specification guidlines shown at the bottom of the screen from this link Link Removed due to 404 Error
Thank you:)

Very facinating experimental creation of an electronic chimera - this Win7 is conceived in another system (Diff MoBo, diff processor, Diff Videocard, Sound Card etc) and transplanted to a second system with different Hardware Configuration. WOW! How many reboots the other system had before the HDD was removed from there and installed in the "old Gateway 700LTD"? Several or was it removed immediately after the first boot to Windows desktop. How does the Device Manager on the current Gateway 700LTD look now?
Can you post the Captured image (s) of the Device Manager to see what Win 7 has done with the devices in its new abode?
After that I might have some idea.

Thanks for asking. It actually worked perfectly. The Gateway had an old version of 7 on it (from when my DVD drive could boot) and it immediately changed all of the drivers after I plugged it into the HP and started up, then I wiped the drive and installed 7 to the point where it first displayed the desktop. At that point I removed the HD and took it back to the Gateway, and it similarly reinstalled all the drivers at startup almost instantly. The only ones it didn't find are the ones which the Win7 installer usually doesn't find, my audio ( a big 2001 Soundblaster package - hmmm????) and like I said I suspected that install method right away, but think I eliminated it by installing a fresh Win7 on a test partition just to see if it shutdown, which it didn't so I wiped the partition and defragged.

I have no errors in my Device Manager.

However I have a clue which is the first time the power button has turned off the computer straight away in two days. I just ran my GW HD Scan diagnostics bootable (HD clean) and went through the menu to exit and hit the power button and it shut off! Doesn' this mean the problem is now isolated to a shutdown in the Windows environment only , and eliminates it being Power Supply or hardware issue? I also just started in Safe Mode to eliminate the Video and Audio drivers and it wouldn't shut down from there, either.

Last edited:
Hi Backslash
Unless you have the same hardware as the other poster and made the System the very unusual way the other poster has created, anything discussed pertaing to that issue may not be relevant to your situation. Please provide the basic hardware information about your system and how did the problem begin [such as soon after the Windows Installation or after any other softawre or hardware changes with details about those changes leading up to the symptom.]. You may use the Computer Specification guidlines shown at the bottom of the screen from this link Windows 7 Forums - FAQ: Windows 7 Forums FAQ
Thank you:)

Okay I updated my computer specifications and the shutdown didn't work properly after I installed Windows 7. I was running Windows XP before this and it worked.

Thanks for asking. It actually worked perfectly. The Gateway had an old version of 7 on it (from when my DVD drive could boot) and it immediately changed all of the drivers after I plugged it into the HP and started up, then I wiped the drive and installed 7 to the point where it first displayed the desktop. At that point I removed the HD and took it back to the Gateway, and it similarly reinstalled all the drivers at startup almost instantly. The only ones it didn't find are the ones which the Win7 installer usually doesn't find, my audio ( a big 2001 Soundblaster package - hmmm????) and like I said I suspected that install method right away, but think I eliminated it by installing a fresh Win7 on a test partition just to see if it shutdown, which it didn't so I wiped the partition and defragged.

I have no errors in my Device Manager.

However I have a clue which is the first time the power button has turned off the computer straight away in two days. I just ran my GW HD Scan diagnostics bootable (HD clean) and went through the menu to exit and hit the power button and it shut off! Doesn' this mean the problem is now isolated to a shutdown in the Windows environment only , and eliminates it being Power Supply or hardware issue?

Now I got it. You had Win 7 previously in the Gateway PC but because of a non- working DVD you could not install win 7 again ( newer Build?) and therefore you moved the HDD to an HP and installed the sytem there and brought it back and used Gateways device drtivers compatible with Win 7 ( learned from prior experience :)] and currently the DM looks clean.

My suspicion was some corrupt driver file was probably behind the issue but your GW HD Scan ( Is it some sort of Disk clean up or driver file remnant remover.. I am not familiar with that) might have cleaned up the issue. Otherwise my suggestion was to uncheck [ ] Automatically Restart. in System Properties> Startup and Recovery

1. Press Windows Logo key + Pause/Break
  2. In System from Left pane click Advanced System settings
  3. In System Properties scroll down to Startup and Recovery section and click Settings button
  4. Scroll down to System failure------------section
  5. uncheck [ ] Automatically Restart
  6. Check [ ] Write an event to the system log
This might prevent automatic reboot and show the blue screen or error screen for info to the cause usually incompatible hardware (drivers) and you can verify that in the EVENT log.
Your treatment with HD scan probably obviated all these for now as there is no more prob:).
Thank you for sharing the details. Before I heard all the details, I really thought you have created a monster PC - a computer with usually incompatible drivers but still functioning :D

Okay I updated my computer specifications and the shutdown didn't work properly after I installed Windows 7. I was running Windows XP before this and it worked.

Just a few idea's . have you tried a scan disk ? Have you tried to see if you have a software problem ?
Did your install of windows 7 go without hitch ?
Have you checked your OS for problems ?
I have never had a problem with windows 7 . Not trying to sound smug but any issues you are experiencing are ether software related or a hardware problem .

Just a few idea's . have you tried a scan disk ? Have you tried to see if you have a software problem ?
Did your install of windows 7 go without hitch ?
Have you checked your OS for problems ?
I have never had a problem with windows 7 . Not trying to sound smug but any issues you are experiencing are ether software related or a hardware problem .

yes I just ran sfc /scannow and it was clean. no problems on the install.

the problem still exists when trying to shutdown from the OS, it only shutdown after the GW hard drive diagnostics scan which was running in boot. This did not fix the problem however as I still cannot shut down the computer without a hard shutdown from Win7, however it seems to indicate that there is not a hardware problem or imminent failure because it shut down straightaway while in boot mode.

Last edited:
yes I just ran sfc /scannow and it was clean. no problems on the install.

the problem still exists when trying to shutdown from the OS, it only shutdown from the GW hard drive diagnostics scan which was running in boot. This did not fix the problem however as I still cannot shut down the computer without a hard shutdown from Win7, however it seems to indicate that there is not a hardware problem or imminent failure because it shut down straightaway while in boot mode.

cmn He then is the man to help you , what he knows leaves mere mortals in the dark :)
Dang ! It,s gloomy in here !
Seriously some very well intentioned people on this forum will I hope sort your problem out . Good luck :)

cmn He then is the man to help you , what he knows leaves mere mortals in the dark :)
Dang ! It,s gloomy in here !
Seriously some very well intentioned people on this forum will I hope sort your problem out . Good luck :)
Hi whoosh,
Am I humbled by the accolade or tickled by the humor; you be the judge:D

My approach to the problem was to

A.check the Event Viewer.

1. Right click Computer> Manage
  2. In Computer Mangement click the + System Tools >
  3. Click and expand + Event Viewer > + Custom Views >Administartive events look carefully for clues
There are other events also to check under the Event Viewer

B. Run CCleaner a freeware > and choose Registry error scan and fixing options in that [besides of course removal of unwanted files like Disk Cleanup.]

C. You might have already mentioned about Power Optons in Windows and if there are in BIOS about rebooting .

I hope clues from any of these areas can help us to focus on the cause. Even though the DM looks good the transplant procedure might have something to do with the issue. The best approach is to use a DVD Drive to install Win 7 locally as a Clean install or use USB Flash drive to install. This assumes the system has all Win Vista compatible hardware in that "Old Gateway Computer"

No clues in Events.
Clean reinstall from DVD. after swapping out DVD drive. Still won't Shut Down without holding power button, but it will sleep and hibernate, so I repogrammed power button and power options timeout to hibernate and will use that for Shutdown. User likes having desktop saved at shutdown and being able to walk away and not have to worry about actually shutting down computer. So I'm done with that two day headache.

No clues in Events.
Clean reinstall from DVD. after swapping out DVD drive. Still won't Shut Down without holding power button, but it will sleep and hibernate, so I repogrammed power button and power options timeout to hibernate and will use that for Shutdown. User likes having desktop saved at shutdown and being able to walk away and not have to worry about actually shutting down computer. So I'm done with that two day headache.
Thank you for posting the details of what you did and how you solved the problem at least partially. As you know from your own research on this topic, Shut down problem in Windows has always been one of the toughest to solve.

rallumer ecran aprés avoir refermer portable

je ne peux pas rallumer l'écran aprés avoir refermer mon portable..
j'ai activé cette option dans les choix d'économie
merci pour aide:)

Back