Tsukira

Mobo: Asus m4a78t-e (latest bios rev)
Chipset: amd 790gx / sb750
cpu: AMD Phenom II x4 955
ram: OCZ Reaper 2gb x4
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Video card(s) - BFG Tech nVidia GTX 280 pci-e
--also tried two different 8800s.

This mobo comes with onboard video ati 3300. Current win7 catalyst drivers are installed for that.

Tried many things to get windows to see the 280, but no luck. Won't list in device manager, so can't install drivers. Narrowed down to either: bad pci-e on mobo; problem with win7; conflict with ati drivers; or I'm missing something crucial in bios.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Usually there is a setting in the bios to determine which gets used, either onboard or third party graphic solution.
Have you tried changing this setting?

There was an option in the NB2 Adv. Config.

Something like Primary Video Controller. Settings: Onboard, PCI, PCI-E.
Tried all of them. No matter what was set seemed to always use onboard.

How old is the mobo? I suppose it is possible that the pcie slot has died, is the motherboard still under warranty?

Brand new finished installing everything yesterday. Was waiting up another hour to get on the phone with newegg about an rma if I wasn't able to sort out the issue. But a week without a computer is like a nightmare. Hopefully get an option for an advanced ship on my dime and refund when defective one is returned. (couldn't find if newegg still offered that)

Yup send it back... I know it's a bummer to be without a machine but I've heard that newegg are supposed to be pretty good when it comes to stuff like this (I'm in the uk so have never used them)

Well... tested the card on an older mobo. Definately not the card with the problem. Must've just gotten bum luck with my order. It was a fairly inexpensive board, if I can't get the ship-first-return-later rma, I might just chalk it up to a new computer tax and buy a new one so I can get it sooner ><

'til then, onboard video fun time. x.x

Man thats a real bummer! I thought perhaps you'd forgotten to plug in the extra power cables to the card or something like that but if the cards are testing ok in a different board then it's time to send it back..
Please let me know how you get on..

Back
Top Bottom