pen drive linux

Peterr

Fantastic Member
I did not have much luck with a VM so am trying to place a Linux distribution in a pen drive using the installers like USB.
I kep hgetting popups from protected folders but more importantly I get sdiffrent error messages while the process is under way which say this won't be able to boot etc.
Can you suggest anything I might look at to be able to create a bootable pen drive with Mint or Ubuntu.

Thank you for the help. I was able to see Mint when I booted but nothing seemed to connect. I checked the connection and both my ethernet and wireless were connected (at different times).
Update manager could not work as did most chores that required internet. I did adjust the firewall appropriately.
It was not a success as far as maneuvering withinMint but at lest I did create the drive.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
I did not have much luck with a VM so am trying to place a Linux distribution in a pen drive using the installers like USB.

Maybe we can help you run Linux on a Virtual Machine.
What was the problem?
The big disadvantage with running Linux from a live-DVD/USB is that you start from zero every time you run it again. You cannot save configurations or keep it updated. Please watch this video:

I appreciate your offer as I have had some rude experiences lately. I run Windows 1803 Pro, 6 GB memory, only.
Let me first tell you about some of my previous issues. I will be doing this from memory so there may be faults:
1- whatever I did I could only get 32 GB on the guest drop down although my system is 64.
2- I was told to turn off hyper v in (programs and features) for Virtual box and vm ware and only have it checked for hyper v..
3- I did check the BIOS and virtualization is enabled. I also right clicked task manager and under performance virtualization is shown as enabled.
4- I did try with vm ware and virtual box and used: Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin. None were successful due to error message of many types.
5- Protected folders always popped up to interfere with the process. I now know I should disable it to go forward.
I watched your video and feel I could do that if I did disable protected folders. I wanted you to know about this old machine and old person :thud: before you become involved so I look forward to hearing from you.

I appreciate your offer as I have had some rude experiences lately. I run Windows 1803 Pro, 6 GB memory, only.

Do you mean RAM (random access memory) or free space on your hard disk by 6 GB memory?

I watched your video and feel I could do that if I did disable protected folders. I wanted you to know about this old machine and old person:thud: before you become involved so I look forward to hearing from you.

That is not my video. It is my pleasure to help people regardless of their age, race, religion etc.

What is your computer model?

This (below) is an article which explains the difference between Hyper-V, VMware and Virtualbox:

https://techtiptrick.com/hyper-v-vmware-virtual-box/

Virtualbox is what I recommend to you in the beginning. That is what the guy in the video teaches.

Do you mean RAM (random access memory) or free space on your hard disk by 6 GB memory? Yes
That is not my video. It is my pleasure to help people regardless of their age, race, religion etc. Sorry - it is a good one though and thank you for offering to help
What is your computer model? Dell XPS 8300
I only understood some of the differences but in my brief experience I too find Virtualbox is easiest. I find the video the easy part; after that I get mixed up. If I try this and it does not work, would a functional system restore bring the PC back to where I was prior to the attempt, or would I need a Macrium image to do that?

If I try this and it does not work, would a functional system restore bring the PC back to where I was prior to the attempt, or would I need a Macrium image to do that?

Virtualbox is like other apps that you can uninstall.
What did not go well? which part is difficult for you?
If you need help in real time (live), I am willing to help you freely. We just need to find right time.

Last edited:
I just found your email in my spam folder; odd b/c I always check it and mark,"It is not spam."
I know this a latent reply but that is why.
Things have changed since the last post. I have a machine built for me not the XPS 8300. It only has 8 GB ram, just adequate. I find with the new sand box in Windows 10 I have no need for the VM but wanted to thank you all for taking the time. I have played with Linux distros before but unlike many, I like Windows 10. Also, regardless of how small the reduced security may be, enabling virtualization does lower security. It is not enabled in my UEFI.
TY

Can somebody tell me if other then windows any different its microsoft im not that keen on wot is Unbunti & Linx

Back