Windows 7 Playing on LAN

as2

Hi , I have at home 2 computers connected to the same wireless router , 1 is connected with a usb cable and the other is a laptop that's connected via WIFI.
I'd like to know how to configure them so I'd be able to play between these 2 computers in a LAN.

Additional information: I have Windows 7 installed on both computers , and using a D-LINK DSL 2760u router.

There should not be any need to configure, LAN games should already pick up both computers provided the firewall settings on both are set up to allow traffic IN & OUT for the games that support it.

OK , I tried what you said.
I was trying to play Tom Clancy's H.A.W.K , so I allowed it through the fireewall and turned off the NOD32 firewall , but it cant find any games....
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Why is that?
B.T.W I tried also without any firewall and it didn't work.

Last edited:
check the IP address of both computers, if they are both connected to the same router (wired or wireless doesnt make a difference) they should have sequential IP addresses such as 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.3, if that is the case there shouldn't be any issue, unless the router has it's own firewall as well.

Last edited:
I know ipconfig shows you the ip address , but it has many fields , so I'll ask a [probably]stupid question:
Which if the fields it presents is this compuer's IP address?

Another thing: When do I know there's a problem , when the addresses are not sequential or when they're the same?

well the IP on ipconfig for your pc is listed at "IPv4 address", with the default gateway being the router. It should only be a problem if they showed the same Ip and conflicting, but if they both work fine to access the internet at the same time then that's not the issue. When the router is not connected to internet the IP address range could also fall on a 169.x.x.x range which is the typical format when not using the automatic internet IP address assigned by the router of the 192.x.x.x range.

Both comps have the same default getaway , but different IPV4 addresses (1 apart from each other) , what else can be the problem?

Well if the firewalls on both aren't the issue, and the game supports LAN, it could be homegroup bug maybe, I usually disable homegroup on the network configure and set to the older style that uses logins and passwords. I would suggest trying to ping each machines Ip address from each PC to see if they can see each other too.

run command prompt from the system tools, type "ping 192.168.x.x" (x's being the relivant numbers for the opposite pc) and press enter, it will run a test for 20 seconds and if thats fine I'd be thinking homegroup bug. Generally on a LAN the ping test should come back with pings of 1 to 3 micro seconds, where as a typical web site would ping 40-100 ms, which you can also do with ping followed by the website homepage address in text or Ip if you know it.

Last edited:
They ping fine , can you tell me how to disable the homegroup thing , and how to configute the login and password and all that stuff (to the older style)?

B.T.W from the laptop to the pc it takes about 4 MS average , is that high?

glad it worked out in the end, homegroup is a bit of a lame duck in my view compared to the older login method, but when it does work right, its rockin'

Back