Windows 7 please can anyone help me?

emsi81

i recently bought a sony vaio laptop with windows 7 pre installed, i can connect to unsecured networks easily and browse the web, i can also use an ethernet cable and browse the web but when i try to browse using a secured network wirelessly i get this message on every page i try to visit!
The webpage at "WEBSITE NAME" might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error
Below is the original error message

Error 0 (net::OK): Unknown error.:(

i recently bought a sony vaio laptop with windows 7 pre installed, i can connect to unsecured networks easily and browse the web, i can also use an ethernet cable and browse the web but when i try to browse using a secured network wirelessly i get this message on every page i try to visit!
The webpage at "WEBSITE NAME" might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error
Below is the original error message

Error 0 (net::OK): Unknown error.:(

Sounds like fun :)

Ok, can other computers connect to the internet using the same WiFi access point?

Can you post an actual screenshot of this error?

What web browser are you using?

If you open your Network & Sharing Center, does it list the WiFi network as a Home, Public or Work network?

Do you have a homegroup setup?

thanks

Sounds like fun :)

Ok, can other computers other than yours connect to the internet using the same WiFi access point?

Can you post an actual screenshot of this error?

What web browser are you using?

If you open your Network & Sharing Center, does it list the WiFi network as a Home, Public or Work network?

Do you have a homegroup setup?

thanks

Yes others can use this access point,
sorry cant post screen shot
using google chrome and IE
listed as a home network
tried both with and without a homegroup!

Yes others can use this access point,
sorry cant post screen shot
using google chrome and IE
listed as a home network
tried both with and without a homegroup!

Hmmmm.....
Can your windows 7 install, when connected to WiFi, access/browse other computers on the LAN?

What is the make/model of the wifi adapter you are using?

Hmmmm.....
Can your windows 7 install, when connected to WiFi, access/browse other computers on the LAN?

What is the make/model of the wifi adapter you are using?

i'm not very technical minded so could you please rephase that!
Is my wifi adapter the one called... atheros ar928x wireless network adapter

i'm not very technical minded so could you please rephase that!

Sorry bout that.. I forget sometimes :)

Is my wifi adapter the one called... atheros ar928x wireless network adapter

try this
  1. go to your Start Menu
  2. right click on Computer
  3. Choose Manage
  4. on the left hand side of the screen, left click on Device Manager
  5. in the right frame you should see something called Network Adapters
  6. expand Network Adapters and your wireless adapter should be listed, pay close attention to the icon to the right of the adapter, if you see a icon with a yellow or a red color that means windows does not have the correct driver installed and it guessed and tried to load whatever driver it could to make the adapter work.
Regardless of what color the icon is, you may want to search for a windows 7 driver for your wireless adapter on the manufacturers website.. One night i installed windows 7 on a old PC i use for my media center, and it could not find drivers for 2 wifi cards and 6 wired network cards! So when it comes to detecting the correct network card driver, windows 7 has a long way to go :(

[*]expand Network Adapters and your wireless adapter should be listed, pay close attention to the icon to the right of the adapter, if you see a icon with a yellow or a red color that means windows does not have the correct driver installed and it guessed and tried to load whatever driver it could to make the adapter work.
[/LIST]Regardless of what color the icon is, you may want to search for a windows 7 driver for your wireless adapter on the manufacturers website.. One night i installed windows 7 on a old PC i use for my media center, and it could not find drivers for 2 wifi cards and 6 wired network cards! So when it comes to detecting the correct network card driver, windows 7 has a long way to go :([/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info but i still dont quite understand, because it will let me browse the web using an unsecured network!

Thanks for your help!
I ended up phoning my internet provider and they talked me through it!

Back
Top Bottom