Windows 7 Please help. Product key does not match :(

jayyjay90

I recently borrowed a windows 7 disk from a friend of mine. I wanted to wipe my hard drive clean because my laptop was getting slow from all my downloads. I popped in the CD and all was working fine. I got to the window where it asks me for my product key. I look on the bottom of my laptop, enter the key and press next. A pop up then comes up saying
"Product key does not match current Windows SKU." I have no idea what this means.
I used to wipe my computer clean all the time on my desktop (windows xp) with no problem.
Please can someone help me
thanks in advance, Justin

It means the Key entered does not correspond to the disc being used to install the OS on that machine.

Now the cd has a cd key -_-? My computer came with an activation code, why am i not able to use that one? and i have work from my computer and i have work in the morning. is there anything i can do to get it working before the morning?

Did windows 7 come installed on your computer. If it did you will need to use windows 7 oem disk.

yes it came pre installed with an activation code on the bottom like most pre-insalled windows computers I buy.
Where can i get an oem disk?

You might check to see if one of your friends have one or check the internet to burn an iso disk. Just make sure that it is oem.

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH. 1 more question. my laptop is now stuck on this "type your windows product key" screen.. how do i get out of it?

Not sure what the right way is but I have removed the disk and then just shut it down. As I said I don't know if this is the correct way or not.

Your laptop should have a recovery partition which you can boot into and enable you to do a full recovery in minutes with the correct oem system all configured with correct drivers.

The product key on the bottom of teh computer is for Windows.

Most likely your computer came with a free trial of Office and you'll need to buy the full version. If you bought the full version then the key is on the back of the CD case.

You can also use Open Office. It's free and legal from openoffice.org and is compatible with MS Office.

Back