Windows 7 ploblem with dual boot windows 7 and xp

lizagreece

Hi and greatings from Greece.i have a big problem with my pc and i hope to help me.so..i have a hard disk 500gb and i made three partitions.the 1st partition i installed windows 7 first.what i did today?i wanted to install windows xp to the 2nd partition.i installed and now that is the biggest problem.i cant in to windows 7 anymore.when i turn on my pc it has only windows xp.it hasnt dual boot to choose what operation system i want to in.so what to do?i want windows 7 and xp with dual boot to choose.please help me...:(:(:(:(:(:(

Welcome to windows7forums.

If you don't see os boot options when you start your pc, then press F8 after POST and select 'os choice' from the menu options.

(You can adjust this in system properties > startup and recovery > 'Time to display list of oprating systems', change this setting when you are in 7)

There is a handy utility for dual boot:

Download iReboot 1.1.1 - NeoSmart Technologies

iReboot.jpg

(image from http://techtrickz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/iReboot.jpg)

Welcome to windows7forums.

If you don't see os boot options when you start your pc, then press F8 after POST and select 'os choice' from the menu options.

(You can adjust this in system properties > startup and recovery > 'Time to display list of oprating systems', change this setting when you are in 7)

There is a handy utility for dual boot:

Download iReboot 1.1.1 - NeoSmart Technologies

iReboot.jpg

(image from http://techtrickz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/iReboot.jpg)

hi.when i press f8 its says safe,normal.......and restart and choose os.when i press choose os its says {choose the operation system you want but it has only microsoft windows xo professional.it hasnt windows 7.what to do?what i mistake i did?plese help me.......

Boot up with theWindows 7 DVD and fill in the necessary, until you get to a screen which offers repair options. (System restore, startup repair...etc.
Select, obviously, startup repair.
For some reason, you may have to do this a couple of times.
That should get you back into Windows 7.
Now, assuming you have not overwritten the XP boot files, (I am afraid you have most likely done this!), you can now install and run the attached program. If you do not have a rar unzipper, just change the extension to ZIp.

Go to "Add/Remove Entries". Select the type (at the bottom) as XP, and the partition/disk on which you have installed it. Give it a name, in the same section.-- Add entry.

All things being in your favour, you may now find you have a dual boot option on startup.

Boot up with theWindows 7 DVD and fill in the necessary, until you get to a screen which offers repair options. (System restore, startup repair...etc.
Select, obviously, startup repair.
For some reason, you may have to do this a couple of times.
That should get you back into Windows 7.
Now, assuming you have not overwritten the XP boot files, (I am afraid you have most likely done this!), you can now install and run the attached program. If you do not have a rar unzipper, just change the extension to ZIp.

Go to "Add/Remove Entries". Select the type (at the bottom) as XP, and the partition/disk on which you have installed it. Give it a name, in the same section.-- Add entry.

All things being in your favour, you may now find you have a dual boot option on startup.

oh my God iam in windows 7 now after your directions.now what to do for dualboot?can you say step by step for not doing any mistake please???

oh my God iam in windows 7 now after your directions.now what to do for dualboot?can you say step by step for not doing any mistake please???

oh i made it with this programm which you gave me....many many thanks.now i have dual boot windows 7 and windows xp.thank thank thanks:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

oh i made it with this programm which you gave me....many many thanks.now i have dual boot windows 7 and windows xp.thank thank thanks:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

HI AGAIN...I HAVE AGAIN A BIG PROBLEM.I HAVE FIX THE DUAL BOOT AND KNOW WHEN I START MY PC ITS SAYS CHOOSE YOUR OPERATION SYSTEM YOU WANT.WITH WINDOWS 7 I HAVEN NOT PROBLEM BUT WHEN I CHOOSE WINDOWS XP ITS SAYS :
ARCHIVE :\ΝΤLDR
STATE:0XC000000F
INFORMATION:Unable to load the Registration of the selected, because the application is missing or damaged

IAM SORRY FOR MY BROKEN ENGLISH....PLEASE HELP ME

Hi and greatings from Greece.i have a big problem with my pc and i hope to help me.so..i have a hard disk 500gb and i made three partitions.the 1st partition i installed windows 7 first.what i did today?i wanted to install windows xp to the 2nd partition.i installed and now that is the biggest problem.i cant in to windows 7 anymore.when i turn on my pc it has only windows xp.it hasnt dual boot to choose what operation system i want to in.so what to do?i want windows 7 and xp with dual boot to choose.please help me...:(:(:(:(:(:(

Hello lizagreece,

It depends on the version of Windows 7 that you have. As a good rule of thumb a minimum of 30GB is recommended for Windows 7 *(possibly more for Windows Ultimate).
http://tinyurl.com/obma6q
??
If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it requires:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Some Additioinal information with regard to the "system reserved" Partition in Windows 7 setup:
If you do not want the 'System Reserved' partition to be created and existed, the best way is to stop Windows 7 installation process to create the partition when installing Windows 7.
In Windows 7, the feature (100 MB partition to store WinRE files) is installed on all computers if the OS is installed on hard disk with single partition scheme, or unallocated space (space which not yet been partitioned) on the hard disk drive.
Thus in order to skip or avoid the 100M partition to be automatically created during installation, here’s a few rules to follow when choosing where to install Windows 7 to:
1. Do not install Windows 7 to a hard disk that not yet been partitioned or to unallocated space (When install Windows 7 to unallocated space, no warning pop-up or confirmation is asked, and setup will straight away and directly create partition 200 MB of disk space as special partition without notification).
2. If possible, try to create all the necessary partition(s) and format the partition(s) before attempting to install Windows 7.
3. If you’re installing Windows 7 into a new hard disk, or a blank hard disk with no partition defined yet, or if you must delete all existing partitions to start afresh, chose Drive options (advanced). Delete (if applicable) unwanted partitions. Then, click New to create the single partition or multiple partitions according to your own preference.
When prompted with dialog box saying "To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, Windows might create additional partitions for system files", click on Cancel button. Optionally, to be double confirm, Format the partition before selecting it to install Windows 7
Finally, if you want to do some research; there are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7, installation, migration and upgrade decisions located at our Springboard site:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
Thanks again and good luck!
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Hello lizagreece,

It depends on the version of Windows 7 that you have. As a good rule of thumb a minimum of 30GB is recommended for Windows 7 *(possibly more for Windows Ultimate).
http://tinyurl.com/obma6q
??
If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it requires:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Some Additioinal information with regard to the "system reserved" Partition in Windows 7 setup:
If you do not want the 'System Reserved' partition to be created and existed, the best way is to stop Windows 7 installation process to create the partition when installing Windows 7.
In Windows 7, the feature (100 MB partition to store WinRE files) is installed on all computers if the OS is installed on hard disk with single partition scheme, or unallocated space (space which not yet been partitioned) on the hard disk drive.
Thus in order to skip or avoid the 100M partition to be automatically created during installation, here’s a few rules to follow when choosing where to install Windows 7 to:
1. Do not install Windows 7 to a hard disk that not yet been partitioned or to unallocated space (When install Windows 7 to unallocated space, no warning pop-up or confirmation is asked, and setup will straight away and directly create partition 200 MB of disk space as special partition without notification).
2. If possible, try to create all the necessary partition(s) and format the partition(s) before attempting to install Windows 7.
3. If you’re installing Windows 7 into a new hard disk, or a blank hard disk with no partition defined yet, or if you must delete all existing partitions to start afresh, chose Drive options (advanced). Delete (if applicable) unwanted partitions. Then, click New to create the single partition or multiple partitions according to your own preference.
When prompted with dialog box saying "To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, Windows might create additional partitions for system files", click on Cancel button. Optionally, to be double confirm, Format the partition before selecting it to install Windows 7
Finally, if you want to do some research; there are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7, installation, migration and upgrade decisions located at our Springboard site:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
Thanks again and good luck!
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

hi again.i have 150gb with windows 7 and 100 gb with windows xp.i havent problem with windows 7 but with windows xp.i cant in to windows xp because its says ntldr is missing.for both operation systems i had made a clean format

If you cannot boot to Win XP, the easiest way is to download EasyBCD 2.0. You need to join the forum to download, but it doesn't cost anything.

The problem you are having is the XP boot files (ntldr, ntdetect, boot.ini) need to be in the System partition. EasyBCD will do this for you or you can copy them to the System partition, which should be C: or the system reserved partition.

Welcome to the site, lizagreece. I see you have now joined.

You already have EasyBCD, as suggested by Saltgrass. The BEta which I sent you is fully functional, as you have found.
As I warned you, you may have overwritten the XP boot files. These will not be recovered by Easybcd.
First, Open Windows Explorer, - Tools - Folder Options View.
Scroll down and enable (unhide) Proteceted operating system and Show hidden files.....etc.

Now look in your XP partition and see if you have the XP boot files in there. These will be
NtDetect; Boot.ini. and autoexec.bat, and possibly some others.
If you have these, then you may have allocated the wrong partition in Easy BCD
Open Easy BCD again, go to Add/Remove entries.
In type, select XP, if you have not already done so. In Drive, select D: Whilst there, name the entry something easy (Like Windows XP!)
If you have already, D. selected, then try it with C:, you may have a cross reference.

Should all fail!!
I have attached a set of the files you need, should all fail. I really doubt this will work, but place them in the folder where you have XP installed, and run through the Easybcd sequence again.
Fwiw. The entry from Windowsguy is not relevant to your problem.

Welcome to the site, lizagreece. I see you have now joined.

You already have EasyBCD, as suggested by Saltgrass. The BEta which I sent you is fully functional, as you have found.
As I warned you, you may have overwritten the XP boot files. These will not be recovered by Easybcd.
First, Open Windows Explorer, - Tools - Folder Options View.
Scroll down and enable (unhide) Proteceted operating system and Show hidden files.....etc.

Now look in your XP partition and see if you have the XP boot files in there. These will be
NtDetect; Boot.ini. and autoexec.bat, and possibly some others.
If you have these, then you may have allocated the wrong partition in Easy BCD
Open Easy BCD again, go to Add/Remove entries.
In type, select XP, if you have not already done so. In Drive, select D: Whilst there, name the entry something easy (Like Windows XP!)
If you have already, D. selected, then try it with C:, you may have a cross reference.

Should all fail!!
I have attached a set of the files you need, should all fail. I really doubt this will work, but place them in the folder where you have XP installed, and run through the Easybcd sequence again.
Fwiw. The entry from Windowsguy is not relevant to your problem.

thanks you very much for help.i found my mistake.my mistake is that the partition which i made for windows xp i made format from the windows.unfortunately the partition which i made for xp has to be unallocted not to be format.but i made for the begining and everything is fine.thank very much again everyone for help

Back