Windows 7 Possible system problem

Exile322

Hi I'm using the windows 7 RC build 7100 and just recently my antivirus started picking up what it said was a spyware running using the svchost.exe and at the same time I lost part of the system which allows you to select options for windows and the like.

This is what it looks like:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Now I know that the properties window is not meant to look like that and neither is superanti spyware and avira is meant to have options down the bottom which it doesn't and I cannot understand why. By running multiple scans with avira, superanti spyware (well I thought that it was scanning I can't actually tell), malware bytes, spybot search and destroy, hijack this (but I didn't know what to do so it just scanned), CCleaner, and wise registry cleaner free edition I think I have removed the spyware because avira doesn't keep telling me that there is spyware :). But I still can't get the windows back the way that they should be.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this then please help me.

PS: I don't have the RC disk so I can't try reinstalling it and if I did that was going to be my first option if everything else didn't work :frown:

Yes, svchost.exe can be infected by a virus.

Size should be 20,992

Take a look at yours. It;s in the C:\Windows\System32 directory.

In fact do a search for it and see if it located in a different location.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Do you, also, not have the Win7 .iso?
Can you get a Win7 DVD from a friend or kin?
If all of the above is "No"...
Do a System Restore.
Yeah Drew the answer to those questions is no and I have tried to do a system restore it doesn't allow me to restore back to a time when I know everything was working properly. But still I tried because the restore point which it showed I could still use all of the features of windows 7 so I just wanted to work from there. The restore point didn't work and I don't even think it restored which is a problem.

But now I have an even bigger more annoying problem windows 7 wont even load up any more, it goes to the loading scene then restarts which then when it starts loading again goes into the start up repair screen and after running the scan it finds no problems which it can fix :frown:. The good thing is I know its not a hardware problem because I have two hard drives in the computer one the windows 7 the other with xp. I can still do everything with xp and its all working perfectly.

I'm in the process of getting the RC disk back and try again to see if it will all work, if I can't get the RC back then I'm trying to convince my parents that there is nothing else which can be done because I've tried everything I can think of so that they can go and buy me the full system now that its out :D.

For the future can someone tell me how to create a system restore point which I can see because that was one of the first things I wanted to do when I installed it but looking around I couldn't find out how (I did only look through the computer not on the internet).

You simply right-click on the Computer icon on the desktop,. choose properties,. click the System Protection link.

Yes, svchost.exe can be infected by a virus.

Size should be 20,992

Take a look at yours. It;s in the C:\Windows\System32 directory.

In fact do a search for it and see if it located in a different location.

W7 32 bit is 20,992
W7 64 bit is 27,136

Yep,. that looks correct,. but do a search for svchost.exe and see if there is another copy in another directory

Back