Pre-order Microsoft 7 for half off e-mail

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by reghakr, Jun 26, 2009.

1. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

I signed up for the Microsoft newsletter and just today received this e-mail:

[​IMG]

You've been using Windows® 7 for a while now, and we hope you've been enjoying a simpler PC experience. Because you've been a loyal Windows customer, we're offering you the Windows 7 upgrade at a great introductory price* - only $49.99 for Home Premium or $99.99 for Professional. It's our way of saying thanks for trying it out. To take advantage of this deal, pre-order your copy while supplies last.

These are upgrades, not the full retail version.

Too bad, I'd prefer Ultimate, but would consider Professional

*Discount based on estimated retail prices of $119.99 and $199.99. Actual prices may vary.

E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.0.1.445)
    Database version: 6.12680
    http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/

2. adduncan

adduncan New Member

Just added it to my email alerts for Amazon UK. Hopefully they will do a similar offer for UK customers

3. fishhawk

fishhawk New Member

Lol

Another Microsoft so called deal. I wouldnt worry about all this pre order so called deals. For one there only offering upgrade versions not even the complete instal--2 there not offering the ultimate upgrade(Again there only upgrades any way) 3 most places like Best Buy Frys and others are offering FREE upgrades if you are buying a new computer any way--and 4 sooner than later you will beable to buy oem FULL installs Disc,s from your local computer stores as always for the price of a full priced new upgrade disc. So hey--I personaly would rather have a complete disc and pay the amount for what an full priced upgrade disc would be--than be scamed by a so called R C user THANK YOU EMAIL --lol. Just my thoughts--but hey i,m only a carpenter--not some tech. :cool:

4. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

You can perform a "clean" install with an upgrade disk, so in actuality it's the retail version at a lower price.

5. Terrain

Terrain New Member

This is actually a great deal and a good move on Microsoft's part in the face of criticism for the initially reported high price tag. I pre-ordered two copies of home edition for my pcs, and did not hesitate. I was able to afford copies for both my main laptop and main desktop, when I honestly thought I was going to have to choose which computer was getting the upgrade.

As someone else mentioned, you can perform a clean install with them. In fact, all upgrades will perform a clean install, and if I remember correctly it just prompted for the media of your previous OS during the install. I don't know how 7 will handle it, but if you have a legit copy of the operating systems that were mentioned, then there is no reason you shouldn't pre-order and save some cash.

6. PcBoyGeorge

PcBoyGeorge Senior Member

And thats why microsoft are being nice. Since upgrades are not possible they are offering the full version at upgrade price! So i can get the full version for the same price and early!

7. Josh the Nerd

Josh the Nerd New Member

1. So? Most PC owners already have a copy of Windows XP/Vista (I'm assuming XP qualifies for a 7 upgrade license) to upgrade from.
    3. So? This deal is obviously targeted at people that aren't buying new computers.
    4. What? OEM discs aren't to be sold without a new computer.

You still need to own an older version of Windows in order to legally use an upgrade disc.

8. adduncan

adduncan New Member

I used to run Vista Home Premium on this computer and have recently installed the RC1 via a Clean Install

Whilst doing this, I left the recovery partition, which holds my vista installtion and preloaded software, in place

Where will I stand when doing this upgrade to Windows 7 once it is released?

Obviously I will have to put my PC back to vista, but i dont have any installation cd/dvds from my pc supplier. Will I still be able to do it, but using the information on my recovery partition ?

9. Josh the Nerd

Josh the Nerd New Member

adduncan, the fact that your computer came with Vista qualifies you for upgrade pricing. Your options are:

1. Upgrade from the RC to final using Microsoft's unrecommended workaround.
    2. (Assuming Windows 7 handles this the same way Vista did) Perform a clean install of Windows 7 final than perform an in-place upgrade of it on top of that.
    3. Restore Windows Vista (if you can) and upgrade it to Windows 7 final.

10. djwayne

djwayne New Member

I recieved an e-mail from Microcenter, they are having a three day opportunity to get a pre-order coupon to buy Windows 7 for $39 for Home Premium, and $99 for the Pro version. So I went to their store and got the coupon to buy Home Premium between Oct 23 and Novemeber 5th for $39.

My question is, "Is the upgrade version 32 bit or 64 bit or both ?? "

:)

11. Bad.hair.spray

Bad.hair.spray New Member

wow that s awesome...chance of posting a link or must it be at the physical store to benefit from the pricing?

12. djwayne

djwayne New Member

You have to physically go to the store and give them your name and e-mail address. So I went there right away, as they also said it was a limited number of coupons to be given away. ( one per household )

:)

13. adduncan

adduncan New Member

cheers Josh

i believe i will more than likely restore vista and take that approach

cheers for your reply

14. fishhawk

fishhawk New Member

Dude--I am only a lowely carpenter--but come on--you got to be kidding about you have to buy a computer to get an oem copy --At least i hope you are-but i wont go there--i have only been building and ocing computers as a hobby for ten years--just built this one --am3 mobo--based--its a monster. :cool:

15. fishhawk

fishhawk New Member

Wow

Hey lets settle down dudes--lol--didnt mean it wasnt a good deal. Only that --ya you still have to have a copy of vista or xp--not just one disc to pop in and shabang you are installing--lol. I like for my personal use to have a %100 complete install of an OS--no upgradeing--just my choice thats all. And like i said--there not even giving a decent price on the ultimate version. Its like COME ON--you let us play with it and now wont let us have it at SPECIAL priceing--lol. I like the word Ultimate:cool:.And like i said also--They wanted to make beleive they were GIVING there testers of the all mighty windows 7 --this great deal--when in fact it is being offered to every one and there grand MOTHER---LMAO.

But ya--I love windows 7--it ROCKS!!

Just a simple Carpenter--and his thoughts.I know nothing about tech!!:eek:

16. nehoma

nehoma Honorable Member

Well I hope they make that offer in UK but I too woukld have preferred Ultimate

17. tmeadows34

tmeadows34 New Member

ok I've never actually bought a operating system before usually it comes installed on the computers I own. My question is if I buy the Win7 upgrade disc how many of my computers can I install it on? I have a desktop that I keep my external drive connected to and currently have the RC installed on, I also have a laptop and a netbook. If I buy the upgrade disc am i able to install it on all my computers or just one?

BTW speaking of netbooks, we've seen the Win7 packages and now have a preorder available yet there has been no sign of the Starter Edition that was mention as being desinged for netbooks. any more info on that anywere?

18. Crazyguy

Crazyguy New Member

I was thinking If I can use my laptop OEM key to install the upgrade on my new box I just build think that would work?

19. SIW2

SIW2 New Member

There are no upgrades available in the EU.

There are only Full versions.

Nehoma: There will be a pre order deal for the Full version for the UK in a couple of weeks.

It is 60% more expensive than the US pre order deal - add tax - add the cost of the physical media ( if you want it ) - add shipping.

You are looking at £99 GBP ( $160 USD) for 7Pro - with the add- ons it will be a lot.

That is what MS has decided - Europeans get a crap deal as usual.

20. TechSupport

TechSupport New Member

That´s not entirely true. One of Sweden's finest online stores "Komplett" is now offering a free upgrade on selected computers you purchase from their shop. The upgrade options are the usual, one product equal other like Windows Vista Business -> Windows 7 Professional E. For those who can read Swedish read more HERE . One can only hope others follow this grate lead cause let´s be honest. If you pay the price for Vista you should get your money back and Win7 is somehow equal to that :cool: