Windows 7 Pre-order Microsoft 7 for half off e-mail

reghakr

Essential Member
I signed up for the Microsoft newsletter and just today received this e-mail:

win7.jpg

You've been using Windows® 7 for a while now, and we hope you've been enjoying a simpler PC experience. Because you've been a loyal Windows customer, we're offering you the Windows 7 upgrade at a great introductory price* - only $49.99 for Home Premium or $99.99 for Professional. It's our way of saying thanks for trying it out. To take advantage of this deal, pre-order your copy while supplies last.

These are upgrades, not the full retail version.

Too bad, I'd prefer Ultimate, but would consider Professional

*Discount based on estimated retail prices of $119.99 and $199.99. Actual prices may vary.

E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.0.1.445)
Database version: 6.12680
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/

Lol

Another Microsoft so called deal. I wouldnt worry about all this pre order so called deals. For one there only offering upgrade versions not even the complete instal--2 there not offering the ultimate upgrade(Again there only upgrades any way) 3 most places like Best Buy Frys and others are offering FREE upgrades if you are buying a new computer any way--and 4 sooner than later you will beable to buy oem FULL installs Disc,s from your local computer stores as always for the price of a full priced new upgrade disc. So hey--I personaly would rather have a complete disc and pay the amount for what an full priced upgrade disc would be--than be scamed by a so called R C user THANK YOU EMAIL --lol. Just my thoughts--but hey i,m only a carpenter--not some tech. :cool:

You can perform a "clean" install with an upgrade disk, so in actuality it's the retail version at a lower price.

Another Microsoft so called deal. I wouldnt worry about all this pre order so called deals. For one there only offering upgrade versions not even the complete instal--2 there not offering the ultimate upgrade(Again there only upgrades any way) 3 most places like Best Buy Frys and others are offering FREE upgrades if you are buying a new computer any way--and 4 sooner than later you will beable to buy oem FULL installs Disc,s from your local computer stores as always for the price of a full priced new upgrade disc. So hey--I personaly would rather have a complete disc and pay the amount for what an full priced upgrade disc would be--than be scamed by a so called R C user THANK YOU EMAIL --lol. Just my thoughts--but hey i,m only a carpenter--not some tech. :cool:

This is actually a great deal and a good move on Microsoft's part in the face of criticism for the initially reported high price tag. I pre-ordered two copies of home edition for my pcs, and did not hesitate. I was able to afford copies for both my main laptop and main desktop, when I honestly thought I was going to have to choose which computer was getting the upgrade.

As someone else mentioned, you can perform a clean install with them. In fact, all upgrades will perform a clean install, and if I remember correctly it just prompted for the media of your previous OS during the install. I don't know how 7 will handle it, but if you have a legit copy of the operating systems that were mentioned, then there is no reason you shouldn't pre-order and save some cash.

And thats why microsoft are being nice. Since upgrades are not possible they are offering the full version at upgrade price! So i can get the full version for the same price and early!

1. So? Most PC owners already have a copy of Windows XP/Vista (I'm assuming XP qualifies for a 7 upgrade license) to upgrade from.
3. So? This deal is obviously targeted at people that aren't buying new computers.
4. What? OEM discs aren't to be sold without a new computer.

You can perform a "clean" install with an upgrade disk, so in actuality it's the retail version at a lower price.

You still need to own an older version of Windows in order to legally use an upgrade disc.

I used to run Vista Home Premium on this computer and have recently installed the RC1 via a Clean Install

Whilst doing this, I left the recovery partition, which holds my vista installtion and preloaded software, in place

Where will I stand when doing this upgrade to Windows 7 once it is released?

Obviously I will have to put my PC back to vista, but i dont have any installation cd/dvds from my pc supplier. Will I still be able to do it, but using the information on my recovery partition ?

adduncan, the fact that your computer came with Vista qualifies you for upgrade pricing. Your options are:

1. Upgrade from the RC to final using Microsoft's unrecommended workaround.
2. (Assuming Windows 7 handles this the same way Vista did) Perform a clean install of Windows 7 final than perform an in-place upgrade of it on top of that.
3. Restore Windows Vista (if you can) and upgrade it to Windows 7 final.

I recieved an e-mail from Microcenter, they are having a three day opportunity to get a pre-order coupon to buy Windows 7 for $39 for Home Premium, and $99 for the Pro version. So I went to their store and got the coupon to buy Home Premium between Oct 23 and Novemeber 5th for $39.

My question is, "Is the upgrade version 32 bit or 64 bit or both ?? "

:)

wow that s awesome...chance of posting a link or must it be at the physical store to benefit from the pricing?
You have to physically go to the store and give them your name and e-mail address. So I went there right away, as they also said it was a limited number of coupons to be given away. ( one per household )

:)

1. So? Most PC owners already have a copy of Windows XP/Vista (I'm assuming XP qualifies for a 7 upgrade license) to upgrade from.
3. So? This deal is obviously targeted at people that aren't buying new computers.
4. What? OEM discs aren't to be sold without a new computer.

You still need to own an older version of Windows in order to legally use an upgrade disc.

Dude--I am only a lowely carpenter--but come on--you got to be kidding about you have to buy a computer to get an oem copy --At least i hope you are-but i wont go there--i have only been building and ocing computers as a hobby for ten years--just built this one --am3 mobo--based--its a monster. :cool:

Wow

Hey lets settle down dudes--lol--didnt mean it wasnt a good deal. Only that --ya you still have to have a copy of vista or xp--not just one disc to pop in and shabang you are installing--lol. I like for my personal use to have a %100 complete install of an OS--no upgradeing--just my choice thats all. And like i said--there not even giving a decent price on the ultimate version. Its like COME ON--you let us play with it and now wont let us have it at SPECIAL priceing--lol. I like the word Ultimate:cool:.And like i said also--They wanted to make beleive they were GIVING there testers of the all mighty windows 7 --this great deal--when in fact it is being offered to every one and there grand MOTHER---LMAO.

But ya--I love windows 7--it ROCKS!!

Just a simple Carpenter--and his thoughts.I know nothing about tech!!:eek:

ok I've never actually bought a operating system before usually it comes installed on the computers I own. My question is if I buy the Win7 upgrade disc how many of my computers can I install it on? I have a desktop that I keep my external drive connected to and currently have the RC installed on, I also have a laptop and a netbook. If I buy the upgrade disc am i able to install it on all my computers or just one?

BTW speaking of netbooks, we've seen the Win7 packages and now have a preorder available yet there has been no sign of the Starter Edition that was mention as being desinged for netbooks. any more info on that anywere?

I was thinking If I can use my laptop OEM key to install the upgrade on my new box I just build think that would work?

There are no upgrades available in the EU.

There are only Full versions.

Nehoma: There will be a pre order deal for the Full version for the UK in a couple of weeks.

It is 60% more expensive than the US pre order deal - add tax - add the cost of the physical media ( if you want it ) - add shipping.

You are looking at £99 GBP ( $160 USD) for 7Pro - with the add- ons it will be a lot.

That is what MS has decided - Europeans get a crap deal as usual.

There are no upgrades available in the EU. There are only Full versions.

That´s not entirely true. One of Sweden's finest online stores "Komplett" is now offering a free upgrade on selected computers you purchase from their shop. The upgrade options are the usual, one product equal other like Windows Vista Business -> Windows 7 Professional E. For those who can read Swedish read more HERE . One can only hope others follow this grate lead cause let´s be honest. If you pay the price for Vista you should get your money back and Win7 is somehow equal to that :cool:

Back