Windows 7 Printer Driver no software available

AzBrewsky

I have an HP Laserjet 4L. Windows Vista and XP automatically find the software and install it correctly. Unfortunately, HP drivers are no longer available and HP says the drivers are in XP/Vista and they won't post the software for download.

My environment: Home network, the HP printer is attached to a network printer device with an IP address. On my laptop (XP Pro) I have the printer installed and it works great. I was able to share this printer and find it and print to it using Windows 7.

So far so good... :razz:

Now, since Windows 7 has the drivers and it works fine, I should be able to add a networked printer using the same drivers. But no luck.. When I try, it keeps looking for the INF file to install the drivers, which of course are not available. :cool:

When I print a Printer Test Page, I see the following (I won't type irrelevant information):

Laptop Win XP Information:
Printer Model: HP Laserjet 4L
Data Format: RAW
Share Name: HPLaser4J
Driver Name: UNIDRV.DLL
Data File: HPLJ4L.GPD
Config File: UNIDRVUI.DLL
Help File: UNIDRV.HLP
Driver Version: 6.00
Environment: Windows NT x86

Win 7 Information:
Additional Files:
c:\windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\PCL5ERES.DLL (6.0.5479.0 (vbl_wcp_d2_drivers.060616-1619))
c:\windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\TTFSUB.GPD
c:\windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\UNIRES.DLL (6.1.7100.0 (winmain_win7rc.090421-1700))
c:\windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\STDNAMES.GPD

Is there a way to take the files above and create an INF file, or to have Windows 7 recognize it so I don't have to keep my shared printer available? :redface:

Thanks in advance!

AzBrewsky

I have managed to get several old printers to work in 7 by this means.
Dowload the latest available driver from the printer manufacturer. In your case, Vista, available here:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Extract the whole thing to a folder of your own.
Run the install in Vista compatibilty mode.

I have been to that spot. When I click on the software link at that page I get the following:

At this time the driver will only be available on the Windows Vista operating system through the “Add a Printer�? wizard. HP does not plan on placing this legacy driver on www.hp.com.

So no software is available.

Yes. Sorry. I followed the info through and got the message. I THINK they may have one, though, for the XP OS? Maybe you could try that in compatibility mode?

Eventually, HP OfficeJet 500 (actually Sony IJP-V100) prints directly from Windows 7. All you need is an XP PC for 5 minutes (and IEEE-1284 parallel printer adapter cable if you don't have a parallel port). The two (XP and 7) computers must be in the same network. Here are the details:

Windows XP side:
- Add a printer>Local printer without auto detection>Use LPT1>Manufacturer: HP>Printers: HP OfficeJet>Default printer: No>Test page: No>Finish (No need to connect the printer)
- Share HP OfficeJet as HPOffice.

Windows 7 computer;
- Add a printer>Network printer>Select HPOffice>Accept install driver>Finish
- Add a printer>Local printer>Use LPT1 (Printer Port) with parallel port or USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB) without parallel port>Manufacturer: Generic>Printers: Generic / Text Only>Do not share this printer>Finish
Tricky point!!!
- Delete HP OfficeJet printer.
- Select Generic / Text Only printer>Right click>Printer properties>Click Advanced tab>Select HP OfficeJet from driver drop-down list.
- Well done ;-)

You may use many old printers with XP drivers on Windows 7 and Vista machines by this method. For questions; [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom