Windows 10 Problem opening windows while having others opened.

Deadwing

Hi, i'm new to the forum so i don't know if this is the correct place to ask this.
My issue with Win 10, is a pretty strange one, which i have some trouble describing, so i will just give you an example:
Let's say i have Google Chrome opened, right, so i click on Spotify (which i have on my task bar) and it basically opens but the screen doesn't change to Spotify automatically, so no matter how many times i click on the (now opened) Spotify icon, i need to close the current Chrome window, to be able to open any other.
This happens with all other windows, and not just with programs that are in my taskbar, it literally happens with any window i open.
I have had this problem for almost two months now, since a recent update, and i am using Windows 10.
Any ideas what it might be?

All program open, minimize etc operations are mainly handled by explorer.exe and taskhostw.exe and sometimes other processes depending on the programs in question. My mind immediately goes to some instability brought on by an update or some corruption either due to an update or just general usage corruption. I would start by running some built-in repair commands and report back if they detect any issues.

Open an elevated command prompt (Click the start button, type cmd, right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator")
Type the following commands
  • SFC /SCANNOW
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

All program open, minimize etc operations are mainly handled by explorer.exe and taskhostw.exe and sometimes other processes depending on the programs in question. My mind immediately goes to some instability brought on by an update or some corruption either due to an update or just general usage corruption. I would start by running some built-in repair commands and report back if they detect any issues.

Open an elevated command prompt (Click the start button, type cmd, right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator")
Type the following commands
  • SFC /SCANNOW
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
I did what you told me, and the first command said that there wasn't found any infraction to the integrity. The second one, simply said "image version 10.0.14393.0", and then that "the operation was completed successfully". It appears to not have fixed anything, should i restart the machine to see the effects, or it simply wasn't what you thought it was?
EDIT: It worked!! I restarted my Pc and it worked, thank you so much!

Last edited:
Back