Windows 10 Problem reading disk in Windows 10?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Because I can't install Photoshop CS3 in Windows 10 without removing it from my Windows 8 install, I decided to install Photoshop 6 in Windows 10.

All of these programs are upgrades from my original version of Photoshop 2.5.

When I put the install disk in one of my CD, DVD drives my computer couldn't read it.
I switched to the other drive and it still couldn't read it.

It would just sit there and a green progress bar would move across the top of the page but that's it.

Finally I shut my computer down and opened Windows 8.

It read the disk fine and I made a copy of it.
I also copied the Photoshop install files to my hard drive.

When I got back into Windows 10 it would still not read the disk, and it saw the copy as a blank disk.
It kept asking me what I wanted to do with it.

I installed Photoshop from the files I had copied to my hard drive, and when I wanted authentication, it read my Photoshop 4 disk without issue.

I have no idea why Windows 10 won't read my original Photoshop 6 Install disk, or why it sees the copy as a blank disk.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mike

It is something I am working on in another area, Mike. I have an external HD, with most of my Software executives, in a folder, on it. Many of these can be run normally, but there are at least half a dozen which, with Windows 10, come up with the message that the path does not exist. If I copy them to the internal - which, oddly, I can do without fuss, then they will run. I logged this with MS Feedback and on the technet forums, but have had no return feedback from anywhere. Perhaps it is merely a missing dll, which will come with a future update. There are Quite a few missing at the moment, which may be responsible.

Hi

Thanks for the heads up.

I tried to install Photoshop CS3 but as I expected it wouldn't let my authenticate the install because I have it installed elsewhere on my computer.

But PS 6 is working fine, so that will do until we get to the real W10.

Mike

One way out of this situation, Mike, which works for me, is to reinstall windows 8.1 from your image, if you have one. The problem is, I think, coming from the boot manager. After I had put my image back, including the MBR, iI was once again able to read all my files on th external. I did, naturally, have to do a bit of work with easybcd to get the Tech Preview back on the disk manager.

Hi

Thanks for the info.
What I don't get it why it won't read this particular disk when I will read others.

This is an Adobe install disk.
It will read the older Photoshop 4 install disk and the newer Photoshop CS3 disk.

This the only disk I've found that won't read, in Windows 10, but it reads fine in Windows 8.
But even the new copy of it I made won't read in Windows 10.

I didn't have any problems installing it from the same files once they were copied to my hard drive.

Mike

Back